Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

10 reasons to consider carbon arrows.....

Old 07-23-2006, 08:44 AM

Default RE: 10 reasons to consider carbon arrows.....

That's the first I've ever heard of any being bent. I wouldn't have thought so, but apparently they can. Interesting.
Old 07-23-2006, 09:07 AM

I have seen them bent or warped just from shooting. Especially if you shoot them into a 3-D target or simular material alot without using lube. The heat will actually warp the end of them. Another thing that will mess them up is pulling them from a target incorrectly or if you stick them in something hard by accident. If you wiggle the arrow from side to side or around in a circle trying to get it out you will damage the fibers inside the arrow. Then it will warp at the tip and begin to loose spine.

Carbons also break down over time and lose there straightness and spine, heat as was described above is very bad for them, as is direct sunlight.

I won't dissagree that carbons will take more abuse than an aluminum, especially a thin walled one. However they are not as tough as many are lead to believe and they do not last forever. I just feel for the money the tolerances and quality control are still better on aluminum arrows. Carbons get better every year though. And the expensive ones are pretty darn good as long as you don't buy into the hype about them never going bad.

I will never forget a few years ago when I was shooting indoor spots and some guy brought in one of those ball bearing arrow spinnners. Some guy put his 80 dollar carbons on there and half them had wobble to them. I threw my cheap Easton 1816 Jazz youth arrows on there and they spun perfect. This guy was not impressed in the least.

Paul
Old 07-23-2006, 10:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry, Can't add to the comparisons but I have a question. How much do a dozen mid range aluminum arrows cost? I've never shot aluminum, only goldtip 5575s.
Old 07-23-2006, 12:35 PM

Very comparible in price. I believe we sell a dozen XX78 SuperSlams for around $80.
Old 07-23-2006, 08:25 PM

Just couldn't stay away from this one. Let's take them one by one:
1. Durability:
Modern carbon arrows are tougher than nails because they feature wrapped construction....they can take all the punishment you can give them and continue to perform as if they were brand new.

I've got a lot of proof in the shop that totally blows away the last part of this statement. They're tough, but not that tough.
2. Consistent straightness:
Modern carbon shafts from the best companies are very comparable to aluminum arrows.

This one is so far "off base" that I had to laugh out loud. The sad part is that the "best companies" is a very subjective statement. I've got some +/- .001 shafts in my samples that run between .040 - .050. We instruct our customers to constantly check their arrows for straightness.
3. They can't bend...ever!
A carbon arrow can be flexed alot, but it cannot be permanently bent....

Others have made adverse comments about this with which I totally agree and more.
4. Quality components:
in the "old days," one of the problems with carbon arrows was that there was not the availability of quality components like tunable nocks and arrow-point inserts machined to 'such tight tolerances.'

Quality of components has improved.
5. Quicker recovery:
Carbon shafts are stiffer than comparable aluminum arrows, meaning they recover quicker from 'flexing at the release.'

Agree.
6. Raw arrow speed:
Carbon shafts are lighter than aluminum arrows of similar spine.

Lighter arrows mean more speed; however, they also mean less penetration.
7. Penetration:
...it is a fact that the smaller-diameter carbon shafts w/ smaller fletches penetrate deeper than comparable aluminum.....

This is really a somewhat stupid statement. Lack of details/facts!
8. Wind bucking ability:
Smaller diameter carbon shafts w/ 3 1/2" or 4" fletch and mechanical or low profile broadheads will definetly buck the wind better than a fatter aluminum arrows.....

This is a lengthy discussion by itself.
9. It's easy to ""roll-your-own:"
'It's easier to build your own carbon arrows.....'

This depends on 'how' you build each.
10.The price is right:

For years, the best carbon arrows cost much more than comparable aluminum shafts. Not so today.
It really depends on what quality/yield you're trying to achieve with carbons.

Old 07-23-2006, 08:39 PM

Len, I agree, but remember I only copied excerpts from the article. More info and facts were presented to each, but no way could I type out the whole thing....[&:]

The one that I really just thought was nuts was the one about not being affected by the wind......I've seen that proven wrong firsthand.