Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Buck growl call

Old 07-25-2006, 04:34 PM

Default RE: Buck growl call

My Cousin and I were hunting about 100 yard apart Oct 30 2004 when we first experienced the GROWL in real life. I first could hear deer running like a buck chasing a doe about 100 yard away. Then all of a sudden BRRRRRRR! What the heck it echoed thru the valley, I almost fell out of my stand. My cousin radioed me and asked me what the heck I was doing. I replied that it was a Deer and not me. He did not reply back, I tried radiong him again. Little did I know that 3 Huge Bucks made a circle chasinh 1 hot doe and ran right in front of him. Of couser Dead Eye Daily missed ( as usual) and we no know what the heck that was. I am also certain that the growl inticed the other buck to join the chase. If I ever hear that sound again I am sure I will see shooter Buck! I am buying the call. It is 20 bills at Bass pro in Springfield MO.
Old 07-25-2006, 11:38 PM
Bartender

It seems everything ive read on this there always was a doe in heat around. In my little experience everytime a doe is around that is in heat there has been more than one buck around in my area. Just my little thought. I will keep with the tru talker for now until more testing by us general public is done and posted on here.
Old 07-26-2006, 07:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

I myself first heard a buck growl last fall in mid Nov when I rattled him in. In the middle of a rattling session I heard one trotting in, but it souonded different there was a growl commiung from this buck. I couldnt understand it. I thought maybe a bear was comming in. The I saw him. Then I shot him, he made the growling noise untill he fell over dead. I thought my dear was sick. Hearing the sound on that vide sent chills throughout my entire body. If youve never heard a buck growl in the wild, its a sound one will never forget. Heres the buck that I shot that was doing it. By the way, we aged this buck at 4 1/2 years old with teeth charts.

Old 07-26-2006, 01:00 PM

they have been coming out w/ new calls ever since i started bowhunting 12 years ago... it's a bunch of crap... stick with the basics: grunt, wheeze, snort, & bleat... rattle if you must.
Old 07-26-2006, 01:06 PM

Let's see.
20 years ago, they had a buck grunt and a doe bleat. Then I remember seeing a wheeze call, then a snort. Lately they have had success using tending grunts. Oh, they also figured out that doe grunt to one another also. Now the growl.
It's sort of like technology, things are always changing. People are learning new things about animals that they have never seen/heard before. I try not to fall for every new gizmo but sometimes I have to give things a try. Expecially when my close hunting buddies have heard this sound in the woods for the last couple of years. It might not work but I'm willing to give it a shot.
Old 07-27-2006, 08:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: waltwittman

they have been coming out w/ new calls ever since i started bowhunting 12 years ago... it's a bunch of crap... stick with the basics: grunt, wheeze, snort, & bleat... rattle if you must.
LOL!!! Now I'm almost willing to bet that you NEVER knew what a snort wheeze was until they started marketing it! Come to think of it, isn't it amazing how 20 years ago nobody seemed to know what a GRUNT was until they started marketing it as well???

The buck "growl" is no revolutionary call that you've never heard anything like. Instead it's a very emotional prolonged grunt or bawl.... really no big deal but it may be interpruted differently by matures bucks and MAY work during a very short window when area Does are actually in heat. It'sa very aggressive call and certainly not one you would want to be singing onduring the early season for example.

It's going to be like everything else I'm sure, once a ton of guys take it to the woods it'll only be a matter a time before the deer educate themselves andbecome extremely skittishwhen the sound is made.

Even without the "growl" being used on this call I promise you that this call is truly one of THE best sounding, natural deep toned grunters in the industry! This baby might even sound a bit more authentic than my beloved H.S. True Talker that's been sooooo good to me for the past several seasons! One thing is for sure, you can bet that I'll run it up against some mature bucks this November andreport how they react to it later.

Good luck and good huntin'
Old 07-27-2006, 08:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

Even without the "growl" being used on this call I promise you that this call is truly one of THE best sounding, natural deep toned grunters in the industry! This baby might even sound a bit more authentic than my beloved H.S. True Talker that's been sooooo good to me for the past several seasons! One thing is for sure, you can bet that I'll run it up against some mature bucks this November andreport how they react to it later.
That's my EXACT impression as well........I have a MAD Growl as well (courtesy of my MO connection) and it is the best sounding grunt call I've heard. I lost my True Talker last season and planned to pick up a new one in anticipation of my Nov IL trip and won't do so now. The Growl sounds better IMO.
Even if I don't use the growl function of the call I know it's therebuilt into the best sounding grunt call I now own.
Old 07-27-2006, 10:07 PM

i dont know i have never heard a buck make that sound but i do hear the grunts and other noises but what the heck maybe they stumbled across something amazing that works great. i dont know i may have to try it.