Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bought a ThermaCell today..

Old 07-18-2006, 04:16 PM

Default Bought a ThermaCell today..

Looking for opinions on them. Do they work very well???? Have heard that the repellent mats outlas the butane cartridges is this true??? Let me know of any problems you have had with them...Thanks alot guys
Old 07-18-2006, 04:25 PM

Default RE: Bought a ThermaCell today..

I've heard nothing but good things about them. The guys at the shop that use them all rave about them. I just can't justify the money. My ASAT suit resists the little buggers, and I just live w/ them. Besides, I don't smell very sweet, and they don't like me anyways.....[8D]
Old 07-18-2006, 04:35 PM
Fork Horn

I bought one this spring for around the house and for camping and I think it works awesome but, then again the mosquitos haven't been as bad as they normal can be. If your thinking of getting one I say go for it.
Old 07-18-2006, 04:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just got one as well I'm going camping next week and I'll put it to use there . everything I've heard is positive about them
Old 07-18-2006, 05:22 PM

We use them in the Matagorda marshes in Texas Duck hunting. There is always mosquitoes until you light the thermal cell and poof there gone. Awesome, best thirty bucks I spent.
Old 07-18-2006, 07:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I bought one for my dad and me for Father's Day (no, I'm not a "father", but I couldn't resist.)

I think the pads are supposed to last 3-4 hours and the butane through 3 of the pads. I've only burned out two pads on mine and am close to having to refill the fluid.

They're supposed to be scentless, but my nose can pick up scent from them. I'm interested in seeing whether or not the "scent" will spook deer come early bowseason.

As for repelling mosquitoes, they work like a charm.

They have new "scented" pads out for hunting...I think they have one for "doe in heat" or something...and you can burn them and release scent into the air, but as far as I know, they don't have any bug-repelling power.

Overall it's a good product and if you're outdoors very much, definately worth having.
Old 07-18-2006, 07:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thermacell's are great.I don't know how I ever survived spring turkey hunting without them. They are good for early bow season too. I've had deer come in without spooking, they don't seem to mind the odor.
Old 07-18-2006, 08:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey Froman I can smell it too and my East Texas deer don't care for the odor one bit. But that doesn't mean it's a bad product, just have to choose your poison.
BTW, while they are making the scented pads how about they make a scented mosquito repellant pad? instead of just a cover scent it could keep the skeeters away while it was at it.
Old 07-18-2006, 10:06 PM

Took mine out for a sit in the tree last week. Awesome!! I had about 10 deer downwind 30 yards away, and none spooked. I know they do smell a bit, but doesa a deer know what it is. Regardless, we are having a terrible year for skeeters here in Montana, and mine works awesome. Best 25 bucks I spent.
Old 07-18-2006, 10:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: DaveC

Hey Froman I can smell it too and my East Texas deer don't care for the odor one bit. But that doesn't mean it's a bad product, just have to choose your poison.
BTW, while they are making the scented pads how about they make a scented mosquito repellant pad? instead of just a cover scent it could keep the skeeters away while it was at it.
Making "scented mosquito repellant pads" would be the best, most logical idea...but hey...

I figure I can hoof two of em into the woods (mine and dad's) and load one of them up with scent pads and one with repellant pads.

Perhaps that's what Thermacell would have everyone do. I mean, the scented repellant pads make way too much sense.

Quick Reply: Bought a ThermaCell today..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.