Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How does one shoot without a peep!?

Old 07-18-2006, 01:59 PM
Fork Horn

Default How does one shoot without a peep!?

I've been curious about this for a while. How do you aim without a peep? Do you line the string next to the pin-dots?

Forgive my ignorance, I've just always shot with a peep......
Old 07-18-2006, 02:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How does one shoot without a peep!?

you buy a "no peep"
Old 07-18-2006, 02:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

dave i would like to know the same thing. before i got a peep installed on my bow i tried shooting it without a peep and couldn't figure it out for the life of me. i guess i'm too used to using a peep.
Old 07-18-2006, 02:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, I use a kisser, a little ball of serving on the string to touch my nose on, I put my knuckle behind my jaw, and I line the string up with the riser. After a while it all becomes natural and you dont even look at the string on the riser, or notice the ball on your nose. But you have to repeat your grip everytime, or else its not going to work right. And Im not using a "no-peep" and if I do my part, Im getting three inch groups at 20 yards with huge pins.
Old 07-18-2006, 02:26 PM

Basically, a peep, no peep or kisser button all do the same thing which is to force you to anchor correctly (the same) each time you draw.

If you have good repeatable form and a perfect anchor every time, you don't need any of those things.

Trad shooters will often use a finger in the corner of their mouth or some such thing, just like a kisser button. But they don't use pins either. And most of them limit their shots on game to under 20 yards.

It's things like peep sights and fiber optics that have brought archery to the mainstream. For 99.9% of us, that's a good thing.
Old 07-18-2006, 02:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I wrote an artical on this topic. Check out the link to my field journal:

http://www.huntingnet.com/fieldjournal/fieldjournal_detail.aspx?nID=406
Old 07-18-2006, 03:25 PM
Typical Buck

Consistant anchor point and draw. Period.
Old 07-18-2006, 03:46 PM

The mass is correct. It's all about anchor point. The use of a kisser and a peep forces you to anchor the same every time. If you can repeat that anchor w/out those, you'll shoot just as well. BUT, it's simply to easy to be off on your anchor the slightes bit. If you are anchored even 1/32" differently, your impact point will change dramatically. Leaving you to wonder what in the world went wrong. Personally, I feel like one or the other is sufficient.
Old 07-18-2006, 04:16 PM
Dominant Buck

A Red Dot Scope and my anchor points. If i'm not there, the dot isn't centered or can't even be seen.
Old 07-18-2006, 04:58 PM
Fork Horn

I'm a right handed shooter so how I do it is that I have a kisser button as my anchor and all I do is look on the right side of my string and just kind of have the pins line up with the string. That's how I have done itfor 20 yrs now.

Quick Reply: How does one shoot without a peep!?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.