Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Has this ever happened before...not prepared?

Old 07-18-2006, 08:51 AM

Default RE: Has this ever happened before...not prepared?

My gun was perfectly sighted in before the season and I could hit wear I aimed. but when a deer stepped out. ohhhhhh bbbboooyyy I missed so many deer before I finally got one. Man it(adrenaline) Really messes you up. But thats half the fun.
Old 07-18-2006, 08:52 AM

I have been told by other pro shooters to use that same technique. When a deer is that close you should use your bottom pin, usually a 40 yard pin give or take. They say that it brings your arrow closer to the deer. I'm not sure how to explain it well, but that is the jist of it. Your arrow doesn't have enough time to flatten so you wind up shooting over your target if you use your 20 yard pin on a animal right underneath you. I'm sure someone out there can explain it better than I have. I just know it's supposed to bring your pins closer to the deer. I haven't tried it this way. I just practice this shot with my 20yard pin and find out where to hold. Try it which ever way you want and see what works for you.
Old 07-18-2006, 09:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a one pin sight, so I guess I am SOL.
Old 07-18-2006, 10:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

The reason your 40 yd pin works on 5 yd shots is it's the one closest to the arrow, and is as close as you can come to just sighting down the arrow, and still use peep and pins. For the one pin guys/gals, try aiming at the bottom of the belly and see if that doesn't do it.
Old 07-18-2006, 02:42 PM

I would just wait for it to walk away and take the shot when it got farther out or let it go. I will not take a straight down shot and risk spine shooting one.

I normally don't set up where the deer will be directly under me any way. Sometimes you can't control what they do though.

Paul
Old 07-18-2006, 03:42 PM
Fork Horn

interesting...this is my post and I continue to learn a ton on this forum. I would not take the shot because I haven't practiced it enough. The concept of using the 40 yd pinis intriguing because it kind of makes sense...the arrow is still rising when it hits the close target (I mean if you are on flat ground)
Old 07-18-2006, 04:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

The reason your 40 pin hits closer at 5 yds. is because the arrow sits much lower than the sight

AAhhhhh, forget it, its too hard to explain.
Old 07-18-2006, 04:30 PM

ORIGINAL: Paul L Mohr

I would just wait for it to walk away and take the shot when it got farther out or let it go. I will not take a straight down shot and risk spine shooting one.

I normally don't set up where the deer will be directly under me any way. Sometimes you can't control what they do though.

Paul
I agree here. It HAS to move away sooner or later. My adrenaline will be leveled out and so will my shot!
Old 07-18-2006, 04:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

all of you got me thinking i should practice these hard shots more. Next time i shoot I'm going to try it and I'll see which pin works better for me
I suspect the 40 yard is right because it is so close that the bottom pin is the closest in line to the arrow