Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Every Year I See It; Every Year I Am Impressed...

Old 07-17-2006, 09:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Every Year I See It; Every Year I Am Impressed...

Is is just me? I don't know how many archers here hunt elk with a bow; if you do then you know how difficult it is, especially when you do it all yourself on public land.

Every year I see Dan Evans' ad for the 'Trophy Taker' rest I just shake my head. I think most of us agree that any animal taken with a bow is a trophy; however when I see the size of elk this guy brings home I have to admit it sends me into shock and awe!

I see he killed three more monsters on self guided public ground hunts in 2005---incredible!! Assuming the pictures in his ads are accurate, I might have to crown him as perhaps the best elk hunter I have ever seen. That is saying a lot when youconsider that Chuck Adams killed the largest elk ever shot by a bow hunter on twodifferentoccasions if memory serves me correctly. Whether he is or isn't doesn't matter. When your scratching the ceiling already, it is hard to go much higher. It is just mind boggling to see someone shootthree "elk of a lifetime"every year. What an incredible feat!
Old 07-17-2006, 11:07 AM

Default RE: Every Year I See It; Every Year I Am Impressed...

No bashing intended, but when you have money to obtain access to good public land, it makes all the difference in the world. I live and hunt in Montana, just because land is public, tht doesn't mean that there is access to it.
Old 07-17-2006, 11:55 AM

BerwindaleBoy -- no access? do you mean because it is so far off public roadways, too thick, or are there restrictions to the public land?

I ask becauseI am interested in doing some elk hunting but am still trying to gather info.
Old 07-17-2006, 12:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

No bashing intended, but when you have money to obtain access to good public land, it makes all the difference in the world. I live and hunt in Montana, just because land is public, tht doesn't mean that there is access to it.
I don't take your comment as bashing. I don't know Mr. Evans financial status or how he gets the results he does. I have seen public ground that is land locked with no accesswhere a guy would have to drop out of the sky to get to it. Even then it wouldn't be easy to get the animals he does.
Old 07-17-2006, 12:44 PM

I've elk hunted I believe 9 different years , DIY hunts all of them, 5 bowhunt, 3 muzzleloader, 1 rifle and I've killed 6 bulls, lost one, and the other 2 years I either chose not to shoot or missed or a combination

Its not unlike anything else .......... you make a plan, do your homework, get ready for it and go do it. Its unlike any other experience I'll say that.

Old 07-17-2006, 01:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Its unlike any other experience I'll say that.
You're definitely right there!

When your lungs are burning from lack ofoxygen, your muscles tight from days of climbingandthe ground is trembling under your feet from the screams of a rutting bull that is almost close enough to shake hands with; it will get your attention in a very unique way.

Old 07-17-2006, 01:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

Antler Eater, funny you should make this post. As I subscribe to -- I think -- four different bowhunting magazines, I spend a lot of time perusing them before I fall asleep. I've noticed the very ad you refer to here many, many times ... and thought the same exact thing.
Old 07-17-2006, 02:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Greg/MO, Great minds think alike...
Old 07-17-2006, 03:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

Every Year I See It; Every Year I Am Impressed...
I feel the same way when I see some of my HNI buddies bucks each fall.

Best of luck this year AE. I look forward to being impressed with yet another mature IA buck from you this fall (Maybe two if I know you the way I think I do)
Old 07-17-2006, 04:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey buckeyebuckhnter your kind words make me blush [&o]...Thank you... Coming from a guy that knocks down his share of mature bucks I am flattered by your remark. I agree we do have some hunters on here that are definitely master of their domain when it comes to Whitetails.Only time will tell if I can get lucky again this yearor not...

This Evans fella makes me look like a preschooler in the elk department however. He appears to be among the "elk elite" if you know what I mean.

Here is wishing you the best this upcoming season!

Quick Reply: Every Year I See It; Every Year I Am Impressed...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.