Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

OK, here's the deal w/ Elite...(what I was told, anyway)

Old 07-14-2006, 07:27 PM

Default OK, here's the deal w/ Elite...(what I was told, anyway)

This is what our Elite rep told us. Elite was forced to make some cosmetic changes to their bows, but other than that, they can produce and sell all they want. We had 1 production E-500 in the shop tonight (it sold already, btw..) and are they sweet. The camo is now brown and the cutout in the cams is different, but they are very nice indeed. They are obviously extremely behind right now, so of the 12 bows we have ordered, we are only expecting to see 1 maybe 2 a week for a few months until they get caught up. Folks, I'm not jokin, that was the SWEETEST bow I've ever shot, period. Keep an eye out for them.
Old 07-14-2006, 10:04 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: OK, here's the deal w/ Elite...(what I was told, anyway)

Here is another deal, and this comes from a bow manufacturer who passed on information from the owner of Darton Archery which owns the patent on Binary cam systems. According to this information..........Darton Archery has and will only license Bowtech to manufacture bows using the binary cam system. So what type of cam system will Elite be using?
Old 07-14-2006, 10:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

Mobo,
I am corporate staff for Bowtech and as such am also a representative of the company. That said, I do not get involved in the mudslinging you will find if you look at another archery forum that is dealing with this topic hot and heavy.
From a business standpoint just an FYI, (As mentioned by Cougar Mag in the post prior to mine)These are the 2 quotesposted by Terry Martin as directed from Rex Darlington of Darton, owner of the binary cam patent that directly affect the future designs of both companies (Bowtech and Elite)

Darton has a number of patents. Several companies are licensed under the CPS and other patents.
To clarify, Darton is licensing Bowtech to produce the current design marketed as the “Binary Cam” Bowtech will be licensed for the current design under patent
#6990970-B1
No other company is now licensed or will be licensed to produce the current “Binary Cam” design.
Any other company is not licensed and will not be able to produce a cam of this type.
Bowtech has exclusive rights to the binary cam system. What this means for the bows your shop is waiting on I don't know but I wanted to pass along some real factual information on the subject.
Old 07-15-2006, 07:45 PM

Darton may indeed own the patent to the Binary cam system, but every other hybrid cam out there is a spin off of that very cam. ProLine used them, Hoyt uses them, shoot, just about every bow company out there has some type of "Binary Cam" they just don't call it that.

I've never had my hands on a Bowtech to look at it very closely. Do they have draw stops on them? This Elite has interchangeable DL modules, but it also has an adjustable draw stop. When the cam rolls over, the stop actually hits the underneath of the limb giving it a very solid wall.

Thanks for the info, Matt. I appreciate it very much.

Old 07-15-2006, 08:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've never had my hands on a Bowtech to look at it very closely. Do they have draw stops on them? This Elite has interchangeable DL modules, but it also has an adjustable draw stop. When the cam rolls over, the stop actually hits the underneath of the limb giving it a very solid wall.
Thats exactly how Bowtech has been for years. If you've never had a bowtech in your hands then put an 06 Bowtech next to the equivalent Elite and then tell us what you think the difference is except for the Barnsdale limbs.
Old 07-15-2006, 08:31 PM

OK, cool. Didn't know that. I don't know what's going to happen, I just know that we sure have a BUNCH of people wanting one and I hope we can get them in....

For the record, I'm not arguing w/ anyone. I'm learning just as much about this as the next guy. I'm not even saying Elite is right, Bowtech is wrong, or vice versa. Shoot, truth be told, I dont' really care. I just hope it all get's worked out quickly!
Old 07-15-2006, 08:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

Mobo,
Just for reference.......there are dual cams, single cams, hybrid (cam 1/2 , CPS etc) and binary cams. Binary cams are NOT a spin off of a hybrid cam they areanother separate system altogether in appearance and function.
And yes the Binary cam system (which is a Bowtech trademark) uses an adjustable stop peg and 1/2 draw length modules. The current elite cam is essentially identical to the Bowtech version in every way except for aesthetics. even down to the use of "Fast" and "smooth" mods.......although I believe they call theirs "eZ draw" and something else to designate fast?
In any event it's the same system and one that they do not and will not have the license to use.
Old 07-15-2006, 09:36 PM

This whole mess is really confusing. Really........confusing. I understand what you are saying, but I read the thread that Kate made and she empahsized, a couple of times, I might add......appearance. That can mean a zillion different things. Again, I'm not arguing, just concerned for our welfare, here.....

In any event it's the same system and one that they do not and will not have the license to use.
I read that thread, as well, and if they were using this system, identically, wouldn't Darton be suing them as well?? I just don't get any of this legal mumbo jumbo.
Old 07-15-2006, 09:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

I know it is confusing.......I belive Kate interpreted the ruling as such (which was only a preliminary hearing to determine that there was enough evidence to now go to a trial phase by the way for damages etc) before they realized that Darton was licensing Bowtech exclusively to use the Binary cam patent.
Elite was using it without paying royalties on it and Bowtech secured the rights to the use of the cam system now and in the future via an exclusive license agreement with Rex Darlington of Darton.

I don't know what cams Elite will be using on their bows from this point forward but they cannot be a binary style cam system like the bow you saw because they will not be licensed by Dartonto do so.

The court ruling and the cam licensing are 2 totally seperate entities.

I read that thread, as well, and if they were using this system, identically, wouldn't Darton be suing them as well?? I just don't get any of this legal mumbo jumbo.
If they continue to use a binary cam system on their bows I can all but guarantee you that Darton will sue them. Exclusive means exclusive.
Old 07-15-2006, 09:52 PM

Well now if Elite was using it and not paying royalties....That's just plain dumb on their part!! I believe another bow company recently went out of business for that same thing....Champion.....

The whole deal kind of ticks me off. Why wouldn't they have their ducks in a row before marketing, and contracting us, btw, to sell their bows? That makes us look bad. We've got guys waiting on these rascals and they may never get them.

But I guess if Kevin could design one line of bows, he can do it again.

Quick Reply: OK, here's the deal w/ Elite...(what I was told, anyway)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.