Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

do-it-yourself target question

Old 07-14-2006, 10:14 AM

Default do-it-yourself target question

Since syrofoam seems to be standard for a broadhead target, I've been thinking about taking a sheet of it to make a full size olympic style target. Just wondering how that blue styro insulation from Lowe's or Home Depot would work. It seems denser than regular white packing styro, so I imagine it would have more stopping power. Then again, it may be more brittle and crack/break/shatter on impact. Any ideas?
Old 07-14-2006, 11:52 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: do-it-yourself target question

I don't have the answer but another thing to worry about is how hard is it going to be to pull the arrows out. A material may have great stopping power but if you cannot get your arrows out...

Just something else to think about for your do-it-yourself project.
Old 07-14-2006, 12:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Homemade target:
2-2x6xhowever long you want the target to be(holes drilled on each end for thread-all)
2-thread-all(at least 36")
A bunch of cardboard
Cut the cardboard into 12" pieces and however wide you want the target to be.Stack the cardboard and put the 2x6's on the top and bottom of it.Run the threadall thru the holes,secure with nuts and tighten down.
This will stop broadheads.When the center is shot out,just loosen the nuts,replace with new cardboard and you're good to go again.
Old 07-14-2006, 01:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

Here is a link to a taget I made a few years ago:

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=455644&mpage=1&key=home%2ctarget &#455644

Old 07-14-2006, 03:43 PM

I like that, but it looks heavy. Here's my plan, if it will work, for for one kind of bulky but light enough to take with me and set up anywhere:
Cut a 4'x8'x1-1/2" sheet of styro in half, glue it together to make 4'x4'x3". Cut out a 48" diameter circle, draw 10 rings and paint- 2 yellow, 2 red, 2 blue, 2 black, 2 white. On the backpaint the same,but only in a 31-1/2" circle. Olympic archery shoots 36 arrows at each distance: 30 and 50meters at 31" target, 70 and 90meters at 48" target. One point for outer ring, ten for "bullseye", etc.
I just started shooting, so even though I may develop my own distances (and certainly not 144 arrows every time!), seems like the points would be a good way to track my progress as I get better at shooting. And even though it doesn't apply to hunting, shooting atstationary targetsis way more fun at 50-90 yards than at 20 yards!
Old 07-14-2006, 09:36 PM

It works, I took about 4 pieces that were 2'x8' and cut them into 2'x2' sections and stacked them on top of eachother, cut two pieces of plywood 2' 6" squares, put one on top the the foam and one on the bottom, drilled holes in all 4 corners, put 4 pieces of all thread through them, put a bolt on the bottom wiht lock nut, and on the top i put a bolt with a washer on it, you just tighten them down, i welded the bottom nut to the all thread so i could tighten it down super easy without the bottom nut backing out, but then i went one step further and put a piece of foam on the front perpindicular to the stacked foam and spray painted a diamond on the middle, the paint eats into the foam a lil, and just nailed it to the plywood, at first it was a bugger and i had to pull on those arrows like there was no tomorrow, but heres a lil tip, take soap, i use just bar soap, but it would be best to get the non scent stuff for hunting, and take that and rub it on the first 3 to 4 inches behind the broadhead on the shaft pretty good, it makes pulling the arrows out easy and you can do it one handed
Old 07-14-2006, 10:25 PM
Fork Horn

At my archery shop I found a bag you put any kind of cloth or old cloth in it works good easy arrow removal DONT USE BROADHEADS ON IT I have had it 3 yrs left it outside all year too

NE Iowa
Old 07-15-2006, 02:42 AM

Drewm2 ,
That looks great , just what I needed . To ship a taget here is 110 bucks[:@]so Ill definately start construction soon.
Thanks
Old 07-15-2006, 10:59 AM

Cool! Thanks for the input, ya'll. At $9 a sheet, I'm going to try it. One day (actually, probably several days) next week I'll be at Lowe's for work, and pick up a sheet. I'll let you know how it turns out.
-Drew

(edit Oh, I mean I'll be there to pick stuff up for work, I don't work at Lowes. Although some weeks I spend so much time there I feel like an employee!
Old 07-18-2006, 06:49 AM

Oh, here's a quick question I bet someone will know: What's the best way to cut this blue styrofoam insulation? I've only used it on the inside of attic access panels, so ithas nevermattered, but for this I need a good, smooth, square cut. I build houses, so I've got just about any tool you could imagine...

Quick Reply: do-it-yourself target question

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.