Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

do-it-yourself target question

Old 07-18-2006, 05:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: do-it-yourself target question

For FP target I took 4 old seat cushions from outdoor patio furniture,the cloth ones and stuffed them in a box,perfect for FP's. not good for BH's.
Old 07-18-2006, 06:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

if your going to use Styrofoam you 'll need to glue it or bind it tight.
if the stuff shifts it will be a buger to pull out them arrows. ya been there done that
Old 07-18-2006, 07:13 PM

If you have a Tractor Suppy Company near you,they use thick blocks of styrafoam to protect some of their equitment they get sent to them.
All you have to to is ask and they will give you as many as you want for free.Most of them are the same size..About 18" long,10"wide and 8"thick.
Your arrowswill pull out very easy also.They also last along time.I use them with target points and broadheads.
You can also use a cardboard box.Stuff as many plastic shopping bags in the box as you can.I hope this helps.
Old 07-18-2006, 07:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: drewm2

Since syrofoam seems to be standard for a broadhead target, I've been thinking about taking a sheet of it to make a full size olympic style target. Just wondering how that blue styro insulation from Lowe's or Home Depot would work. It seems denser than regular white packing styro, so I imagine it would have more stopping power. Then again, it may be more brittle and crack/break/shatter on impact. Any ideas?
The blue or pink styrofoam works. Of course it's not like you have a Block on your hands or anything, but you can cut a blue styro sheet into squares, layer the squares up, and use duct tape to hold em together. They will chip some, but can take quite a few shots with a bow and arrow removal is a cinch.

I go shoot at a friends house all the time and other than his Glendale buck, we shoot the crap outta the homemade "Block".

It ends up being in a cube and you can kick them and then shoot at them...that way you have to judge the distance off the hoof and all that jazz...

Makes for a cheap fun afternoon of shooting (well, that and judo-points and tennis balls.)
Old 07-18-2006, 07:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

a razor blade would cut the styrofoam nicely