Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

POACHER!!! gotta read

Old 11-03-2002, 06:56 PM

Default POACHER!!! gotta read

I shot a doe tonight and i was on the ground gettin to her and i hear a shot. Not a shot from a bow but a slug. no more than 70 yards away from me. I was like what the he**. I get to my doe and check her out and decide to go up to the truck first. so hearing that shot i was in a hurry to get out of there to see if i could see anyone. On my way out i spot a deer laying down. So i come up on it and sure enough there was a slug hole in her. So i like ran out of the timber now. And there was a car parked next to mine in wich i have never seen before. In the front seat was a gun case open. No bow case found. The owner of the ground was outside his house at the time and i asked him if he knew the car and he said he wasnt sure of it. And i told him what had happened and he told me not to call anyone about it b/c he threatened to cease hunting on his property all together. I told him if it happens again i wont hesitate. What would you do in the situation. I already had my phone in my hand to call the DNR when the owner told me to leave it be.

Forever Hunter
Old 11-03-2002, 07:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: POACHER!!! gotta read

Drop'em, I don't think there is one thing you can do. If I understood the story right, you are hunting on someone elses property right? If he doesn't want to do anything about it, there is nothing you can do. You can't file tresspassing charges because of tresspassing on land you don't own.

It makes me wonder if the land owner didn't tell the guy he could hunt and didn't want you to know it. Who knows? Probably not but I can't figure why he doesn't care that someone is tresspassing and hunting on him.

--------------------------------------------
Hunting the Piney Woods of Deep East Texas.
Old 11-03-2002, 07:09 PM

It sure sounds like the owner new what was going on. Why would anyone let something like that just go. I bet the owner knew who it was.
Old 11-03-2002, 07:23 PM

Ahhhhh fellas #1 yes you can call a warden and yes there is some thing he do. The warden probably could not charge him with tresspassing becouse that is under the state police. However he can come on the land and if there was a violation he would indeed charge the guilty party. The land owner has no say if the officer thinks there is some thing illegal going on. If you have the tag # it still not too late to call but you must consider if you will not be able to hunt. Now if ya wana get real real sneaky and not have any one know that you contacted the warden call you local warden tell him whats going on. He will probably meet with you then you can show him how to enter the propety and he can hide and wait being it is not gun season all he has to do is catch the guy with the gun and the sluggs bam he's got him the warden tell's the land owner he has been hearing shots and was investigating and found this guy illegaly poaching deer. The guy is caught the land owner thinks it was a fluke and you get rid of your paocher. Good luck
Old 11-04-2002, 02:22 PM
Fork Horn

If I understand the problem right,I would probably lose my permission to hunt on this guy's property!!He is allowing the poaching on HIS land,and is braking the law also.I would have gotten the car license plate number,and called the game warden and turned the lowlife Ba$turd in!!!I don't know about anyone else,this is only my opinion,but the landowner is doing just as much wrong as the guy pulling the trigger by allowing this on HIS property.I would also let the law officer's know,the landowner is justifying this kind of B.S.on his land,maybe get some kind of charges on him too!!!I don't think I want to be out bowhunting,and have some POACHER shooting at game with me in the woods.There are to many Public hunting area's to hunt on for people to go along with this stuff.My opinion.

Old 11-04-2002, 02:53 PM
JRW
Nontypical Buck

I think Adams603 hit the nail on the head. Sounds almost like the land-owner knew EXACTLY what was going on. Why else would he threatene to kick YO off his land for turning in a poacher on his property?

JRW
Old 11-04-2002, 04:32 PM
Fork Horn

Sounds fishy, I would say the landowner knew who it was and what they were doing. It was like he was saying if you report this, then I will make you pay the price for it. It is your decision on what to do, but I would report it. I would first and foremost be mad as h#ll if someone was shooting a gun in my direction during bow season, especially if that person was a no-good poacher. It is people like that who give good hunters a bad name, and a landowner that would allow it then threaten you is no better than the poacher. Just my opinion.
Old 11-04-2002, 07:35 PM

Gun season is not yet in, in Illinois. Therefore, the shooting of the doe was definitely an illegal act (poaching).

Although county and state officers can arrest for trespassing, in Illinois most trespassing violations for hunting and fishing violations are usually handled by conservation officers. In this case, pursuing a trespassing violation would probably not be an issue.

The one thing you need to consider, is that the shooter could have mistakenly or accidently shot and killed you, and the land owner condoned your life being put at risk.

Report the incident to a DNR officer. Tell him about incident and what the property owner said to you. That statement (threat) is evidence of culpability by the land owner. If you let him get away with it, and the shooter get away with the act, your ethics are compromised just to be able to hunt. In the land owner’s eyes, you are now one of the outlaws.

You witnessed an illegal act that all ethical hunters will not tolerate, yet you say you will only do something about it if it happens again. Sorry, that is BS in my book.