Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Physical preparation as well as gear

Old 07-14-2006, 07:56 AM
Fork Horn

Default Physical preparation as well as gear

As we all seem to be counting down the weeks or days left til our own opening day, preparing our gear over and over, target shooting at the range, in the back yard, off the deck, scouting, reading, posting and so on. I am wondering how many are also working on their own physical preparation as far as working out and exercising and getting ready for the season as far as staying fit.
Personally, I have been running, not neccessarily to prepare for hunting season as much as just to stay in shape in general. I have noticed that this is really going to benefit me in hunting season as well. I am 25 lbs lighter this season than last... so climbing the tree, walking in and out to the stand, dragging deer, all will be easier at a lighter weight and with more stamina and strength.
Anyone else out there looking forward to a better season due to being in better shape?
Old 07-14-2006, 08:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Physical preparation as well as gear

i try to work out as much as possible... Its tough to keep going to the gym in the summer cause im working more hrs, but i try to strength train at the gym atleast 2 nights a week. Plus itry to do 150+pushups and situps on the days i cant make it.

I think cardio is equally important. I try to run/bike/row as much as possible. As well as play 4-5 hrs of raquetball a week.

Last summer i didnt do enough training and my 2 weeks in the back country of WY kicked my arse... I lost 15-20 lbs in 2 weeks... So this winter i started working out 4 days a week and have seen great improvements. I can get my bow back much easier now and can slow draw from any position.

But now that the season is closing in i plan on doing more cardio work and just strength maintenance. Hopefully i can make time...
Old 07-14-2006, 08:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

I do a lot of walking and just a week ago when I put my treestand up in my backyard tree so could practice shooting.
I'm getting my legs in shape by climbing up and down every time to get arrows and I'm doing streching exercise's for drawing the bow.
If that wasn't enough my wife had drag some busted up concret we had in the back.
I'm trying to have some fun and my better half wants to put me to work.
Old 07-14-2006, 09:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm running or biking 5-6 days a week plus I work-out with weights 4-5 times a week as well. Add in trying to eat nutritionally sound foods and taking supplements and I feel I'm doing the best I can.
Old 07-14-2006, 09:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

I always hit the weight 2-3 times a week, but I've started jogging/hiking a lot in prep for an idaho hunt. I just got done running 5.5 miles this morning.
Old 07-14-2006, 09:47 AM
Dominant Buck

I'm in horrible shape . I usedto be a long distance runner and messed up my knee. I've gained 100 pounds. I hold it well and most folks think I'm 40 pounds lighter than I look but my you can't fool your heart.. { Size 44 waist}Yeah..I'm working on eatting more healthier ..My wife is doing excellent and encourages me alot. I play tennis about2 times a week and fish and hike often. I need to do more though. I have a real nice bicycle and should be using it. I have a hard time not grabbing a pepsi when I'm in Walmart and stuff like that. I also love lunchmeat sandwiches. It's beena big battle for so long.
c7
Old 07-14-2006, 11:34 AM

I shoot all year long, so that is not a big issue with me. I normally set my bow up to hunt around july or august. I set my stands in august as well.

As far as physical training. Hunting where I do is not real physical, other than dragging the deer out of the woods and loading in a truck. And I am small enough that I need help with that anyway. If you can walk and draw a bow chances are you are in good enough shape to do it the way I do. My biggest draw back is my fear of heights. I have a hard time getting in a stand. Ladder stands or climbers are about the only way I will go. I just can't do the hang on stands and foot pegs or climbing sticks. I can do it physically, just not mentally.

What do I do to prepare for season physically. I work 10 hours a day in a freakin factory on my feet all day long next to a furnace or something else just as fun. Hunting is a break for me, I don't really need to work up to it. The only thing I can't physically do is lift the deer into a truck because I only weigh 120 lbs and the deer are bigger than I am. Since I don't own a truck this isn't a problem, whoever I get to loan me a truck can help me load the deer.

Paul
Old 07-14-2006, 12:02 PM

Just living here is a workout!
Old 07-14-2006, 12:19 PM

I've lost weight in the last couple of months just walking so much at work. I am going to start running though once this damn humidity goes away.