Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

PLEASE HELP!!! New bowhunter

Old 07-11-2006, 07:23 PM
Spike

Default PLEASE HELP!!! New bowhunter

I just registered after discovering this forum and I am very excited about getting some help from some bowhunting experts.
I am 25, live in Utah, and hunt mule deer and elk. I have been rifle hunting for a long time and have taken some very nice animals, my deer 2 years ago was 7 years old, and was still the biggest taken in the area, which landed me a couple of pictures in the paper.
I have always known that I would eventually become a bowhunter. It just seems like the more pure, challenging, true way to hunt. Its kind of like when I finally started flyfishing, I havent been able to throw a lure or spinner since seeing a trout rise for an elk hair caddis just before dark.

Anyway, my grandpa owns about 30 acres in the mountains out here in utah. We have deer, elk, moose, and some bear wander the property. I have many questions and would really appreciate answers and any other tips that can be given. I have been shooting the bow for over a year.

#1- the bowhunt here is aug 19 to sep 15, wheras the rifle hunt that I am used to is the last week in october. Any tips on which calls/scents to use? What types of calls? Any attractants? Rattling antlers? etc...
#2 - I am planning on putting up a stand. Last weekend I saw bucks in 2 areas, one by a natural spring and the other higher up the mountain far from water. Should I go near the water or where I see the bigger bucks? The water is closer to the dirt road that a few other landowners use....
#3 - Obviously wind plays an important factor. What are your feelings on having the wind carry my scent from a stand as opposed to a ground blind.
#4 - What is the longest shot a beginning (0 to 3 years experience) bowhunter can/should attempt? I know what area I am good out to, I am just curious how everyone else feels.
#5 - I too have a problem with getting slapped some when I release a shot. I had my bow fitted and set by an archery expert of 30 years, who watched me fire off many arrows. He said that he had the draw length and weight fitted for my size (6'3, 200 lbs, with extra long arms). He told me that I needed to relax my left arm (where I hold the bow) but im having a hard time taking comfortable shots this way.

I am sure I'll think of other questions. Again, any help will be appreciated.
Old 07-11-2006, 07:33 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: PLEASE HELP!!! New bowhunter

Practice, practice, and then practice some more.
Old 07-11-2006, 07:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

#1 IDK
#2 i would hunt by the water they will eventually have to drink some so the bigger bucks will come there
#3 i would rather hunt 20 ft out of a stand for wind to carry my secnt away from the area but spray down real well and you shouldnt have any problems
#4 i am limiting my self to 30 yard shots this year as my 3rd year bow hunting
#5 you will get used to this and it will become natural after a while
hope this is some help
Brent
Old 07-11-2006, 07:37 PM

First of all, welcome!!! Glad to have you. I can't answer much about the specifics of where you hunt, but what little I do know I'll say this. ALWAYS hunt the wind, regardless of in a tree or on the ground. Hunt where the deer are, not where they MIGHT be. Find out for sure, then hunt them there.

Now, to a little I do know about. Yes, if you lock your bow arm elbow, you are putting a big bulzeye on your forearm for your string to hit. There should be just the slightest bend in that elbow. Also, open your stance up a bit. Place your back foot, the one farthest from the target, slightly in front of the front foot. This will open your stance, and subsequently, change the angle the string comes at your bow arm, and will miss your arm.
Old 07-11-2006, 08:26 PM

field mouse you forgot even more practice. but welcome to the forums and for me personally bowhunting as corny as this is going to say has made me a more patient person i know. and it teaches you that. with a gun you have no challenge in my book and sometimes i get the smokepole out for muzzleloader season but when rifle season hits its like i go into a state of depression that the bow season is over. bow season is the time of year where things arent disturbed too much in the woods and you can really hunt. at least around here and for most places i would think. but you can never practice enough and good luck.
Old 07-12-2006, 08:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

You should limit yourself to your comfort zone=how far you shoot consistently placing all arrows in the kill zone.For some,they may never shoot past 20 yards--whatever distance you still feel confident,because if you're not feeling that you can make the shot you shouldn't take it.Practice cannot be stressed enough--even after season starts,you need to keep practicing.Also,if you practice 35-40 yards that 20 yard shot will seem soooo much easier.jmho.