Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

no problem on game but cant shoot paper

Old 07-11-2006, 04:26 PM

Default no problem on game but cant shoot paper

ok heres the dilema. ive been bow hunting for about 15 years and have never had a problem taking game but i cannot consistantly shoot paper. i can shoot 3d targets right where i want to and group tight as can be and i even have a few robin hoods under my belt but when it comes to paper im grouping within a pie plate which i know is ok but as much as i shoot i want to group better on paper. now im not into the tourney shooting or 3d. even though i have a few 3d targets for practice. any suggestions?
Old 07-11-2006, 04:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: no problem on game but cant shoot paper

It's simple your aiming for too big of a spot. Remember it's easier to hit the center of a golf ball than it is to hit the center of a basket ball. Make your paper smaller. Put an inch square and aim for it. Chances are your floating in "a pie plate" and subconscienceously happy with that when shooting.

That's my theory and I could be wrong, I was once.
Old 07-11-2006, 04:40 PM

Rob hit the nail on the head. Aim small, miss small. I used to save white 2 liter bottle caps, then stuck the cap into a hay bale. I shot at them until I broke it.I've also heard of people useing asprin tables. But I think they were useing a sight with some maginfaction for target shooting only.
Old 07-11-2006, 05:27 PM

Head on over to your local pro shop, gun store or even a supermarket and get those 1" orange self sticking targets. Place those on the paper, your groups should start getting smaller.
Old 07-11-2006, 05:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

aim small miss small....proven thoery
Old 07-11-2006, 05:57 PM

I agree with what everybody has said. Put a smaller circle on the paper. Makes you aim better and get better groups.
Old 07-11-2006, 06:39 PM

While "aim small, miss small" is certainly most of the problem, it's prolly not all of it. I would bet a dollar you are torquing the grip as well. Bow torque is the #1 killer of consistent shooting, followed VERY closely by bad arrows. If you are shooting carbons, and have been shooting these same ones for quite a while, you are ready for new ones. Carbon arrows, especially the more moderately priced ones, are notorious for having the spine go weak. Buy yourself some new arrows once and see what happens.

But even before that, learn a torque free grip. Oh, and don't look at the pin while you are aiming. Focus completely on the small spot you want the arrow to hit, letting the pin be in your secondary vision.
Old 07-11-2006, 06:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

While "aim small, miss small" is certainly most of the problem, it's prolly not all of it. I would bet a dollar you are torquing the grip as well. Bow torque is the #1 killer of consistent shooting, followed VERY closely by bad arrows. If you are shooting carbons, and have been shooting these same ones for quite a while, you are ready for new ones. Carbon arrows, especially the more moderately priced ones, are notorious for having the spine go weak. Buy yourself some new arrows once and see what happens.

But even before that, learn a torque free grip. Oh, and don't look at the pin while you are aiming. Focus completely on the small spot you want the arrow to hit, letting the pin be in your secondary vision.

yeah what he said lol and aim small miss small
Old 07-11-2006, 08:30 PM

yea that makes sence. i do shoot alot and i go through a dozen arrows a month. i do make sure im shooting new ones most the time. but im going to try your guys advise tomorrow and let you iknow how it works for me. thanks alot for the great advice
Old 07-11-2006, 08:33 PM

I think that everyone has hit the nail onthis subject. I find that where ever the first one goes on a big target that seems to be the general location of all the others. In others words... Make the first shot count

Tim

Quick Reply: no problem on game but cant shoot paper

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.