Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

trace mineral

Old 07-10-2006, 09:51 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: trace mineral

I will be using the same mix as IL-Cornfed except I supplamented the stock salt for gypsum salt. I will mix it at the same rate and cost me $32 for all the materials. Another thing about granular versus the block is that unlike a cows toungethat isruff and actually pulls or helps to break the block as it licks it, a deers tounge is smooth andlicking the blockcan be ruff on a deers tounge to were the do not use the block as much. They will use the block less than granular until the block breaks down and gets in the soil.
Old 07-10-2006, 09:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

No, it's best to use only a small portion of the mix and honestly this should be enough for a few sights and nearly a couple seasons.

I should note to check you local game regs to see if mineral supplementation is legal. We are no longer allow to use this mix in Illinois since the threat of CWD a couple seasons ago so no one here is allowed to make anymore of the stuff.

However, mixes that were poured into and onto the ground from a few years ago are STILL active on many properties.
Old 07-10-2006, 10:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have heard alot about mineral licks but my question is this. Are the home made potions such as the one mentioned here as effective at growing antlers as the expensive ones you buy out of catalogs? Other than growing horn what do these licks help deer with? I heard it helps does produce more milk for fawns.
Old 07-10-2006, 10:08 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks I will have to try and make some up and give it a try. Ohio it is legel to use mineral licks and what not

Trytan
Old 07-10-2006, 10:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

do all the supplies come in smaller bags such as 25lb bags?? also do they use this year around or just during the warmer months
Old 07-10-2006, 10:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: njbuck22

I have heard alot about mineral licks but my question is this. Are the home made potions such as the one mentioned here as effective at growing antlers as the expensive ones you buy out of catalogs? Other than growing horn what do these licks help deer with? I heard it helps does produce more milk for fawns.
These homemade mixes, I assure you, in most cases are much better than the vast majority of commercial offerings. It's certainly the way to go in myopinion.

Besides the horn/bone growing benefits you mentioned these mineral sites WILL also help lactating Doesproduce morenutritious milk in order to get the fawns off to a stronger start. The advantages are many and I believe a mineral station should be a part of every serious QDM'ers plans.
Old 07-10-2006, 10:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Cougars09

do all the supplies come in smaller bags such as 25lb bags?? also do they use this year around or just during the warmer months
Most are available in 50# bags however your local feed store could probably get you whatever you need. Just call and ask them?

Deer will use these sites year round but obviously the heaviest useage occurs during the stress periods of late winter/early spring and then throughout the summer. Useage tapers off considerable once the majority of fall food sources develop and the need for minerals diminishes.
Old 07-12-2006, 09:04 AM
Typical Buck

Our local Country Max ( formerly Agway ) doesn't stock the Trace Mineral or The Di-Cal . I had them order some for me . They said it would take two week to get it ..........[:@] [:@]
Old 07-12-2006, 11:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have had luck with the trace mineral. Last year I mixed it with this stuff called "Stump Licker" and they really took to it. I have a cocain hole also, that is two years old now that I can stand in and it comes up to my knees.
Old 07-12-2006, 11:18 AM
Fork Horn

I started trying the trace mineral blocks about 3 months ago and had very good luck with it behind my house, I then put about 10 around our hunting club and they seem to love them.