Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bear Hunting

Old 07-08-2006, 01:01 PM

Default Bear Hunting

What do you guys and gals think is the mimium weight needed in a bow to take down a bear at say 25 to 30 yards? My bow is 50 pounds, but, my draw is only 24.5, I have taken off my release string loop to reduce the draw to work for me. But, I know that even with my bow maxed out, since my draw is short it will not be at 50. I am almost perfect shot, and group my arrows touching almost always. I was just curious if you all thought that would work for a bear?
Old 07-08-2006, 01:12 PM

Default RE: Bear Hunting

I would see know problem taken a bear with your set up but i myself would keep it in 20yards or less , just got to keep the arrow in that sweet spot
Old 07-08-2006, 02:49 PM

Should be no problem if going for a black. I personally would use something with a lot more "umpf" if going after a brown. Just keep it close and be very choosey about your target spot. (and be in a tree when dong it)

Old 07-08-2006, 04:05 PM
Boone & Crockett

Any bow adaquate for whitetails is okay for bears. Remember although the hair is thicker, the hide of a bear is thinner than that of a whitetail so your bow is fine. Remember, shot placement is the most important factor so learn the anatomy and hunting scenerios...
Old 07-08-2006, 04:45 PM
Banned

Exactly guys; she is just worried about her light poundage. She blew through two deer last year with her setup. I tell her that if my tiny little 11 year old can blow completely through deer with his light 40lb setup then she will be fine. Sometimes a woman likes to hear from somebody else beside the ole' man.HCH
Old 07-08-2006, 04:48 PM
RWK
Nontypical Buck

Just use a two blade broad head, that way you will get max. penaration.
Old 07-09-2006, 07:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

You should check your KE, get a chrono on your bow and get a calc for you energy. There's guidelines on the net that tell you what you should have for different game. That way you'll be confident in your equipment.

Im guessing at 50lbs your probably fine. Just beware that bear have a larger shoulder blade that sweeps back further... you'll need to be consious of shot placement.
Old 07-09-2006, 06:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

Any bow adaquate for whitetails is okay for bears. Remember although the hair is thicker, the hide of a bear is thinner than that of a whitetail so your bow is fine. Remember, shot placement is the most important factor so learn the anatomy and hunting scenerios...
Ditto! Go get'em
Old 07-09-2006, 08:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Try to wait for the shoulder to be open for the shot.
By this I mean make sure the near leg is forward and opens up the boiler room for a nice window of oppurtunity.
Old 07-10-2006, 06:14 AM

That set up will work fine, I just wouldn't recommend a mechanical broadhead with that set up. A nice razor sharp COC style would do the trick.

If you are hunting bears for the first time do yourself a favor for practice, grab a solid black towel and wrap it around the vital area of a 3d target or around your bag target. I worked for a bear guide for 4 years and we had a lot of first time bear hunting archers through and almost every single one of them found "picking a spot" on bear much harder that on a deer due to the solid black color and thick hides. You rarely see the defined shoulder muscles like on a deer and through a small peep all you often see is all black fur, especially on real close shots or stands. I'm not saying it is allthat hard, but if you practice picking a spot on a solid black field you'll be better prepared.

Quick Reply: Bear Hunting

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.