Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

aim low hit high?

Old 07-06-2006, 12:24 PM
Banned

Default RE: aim low hit high?

ORIGINAL: MOTOWNHONKEY

Aim dead on, if you miss most likely it was poor forum, enviorment, nerves etc. Aim dead on.
Poor forum; I like this forum. Environment spelling for you too.HCH
Old 07-06-2006, 03:12 PM

Thank you for posting the Pythagorean Theorem I was hoping someone would remember!
Old 07-07-2006, 05:59 AM
Fork Horn

Right, GR8atta2d - the leg of the triangle that represents your shot is LONGER, not SHORTER as was earlier posted. Add to that the fact that shooting downward, the arrow will not drop quite as much at the same distance, AND the fact that yourtarget (ie, "sweet spot") appearsto belower on the deer - and I have found (in my experience) that if I aim just barely above the lowest edge of deer I can see, I get a hit. When I aim at the normal "1/2-way up" the deer, I have shot overa few times. Also, the greater the distance from the tree, the greater the chance that the deer will begin its instinctive "duck" as it crouches to run at the sound of the string.
Also - there is a reason why they make pendulum sights - it's to compensate for the downward angle so you can hit the same spot without aiming low.
So - in my experience (which is what counts for me) the phrase, "aim low hit high?" is not correct. It is "aim a little bit low, hit the spot that best kills the deer".
I guess everyone will have to experience this for themselves, but I have heard of many hunters missing over the backs of deer, and not very many missing under the chest (unless it was a very long shot).

Good Luck this season!

Old 07-07-2006, 11:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Pythagorean theorem tells us that unless you are VERY high in the tree, or the deer is VERY close, the change in "effective distance" isn't really significant.20.6 yards versus 20 yards just doesn't matter. That's why I think pendulum sights are not necessary.

I think most guys miss high because they drop the bow arm instead of bending at the waist. Like somebody said, dropping the bow arm changes draw length, anchor point, everything. Try it sometime.

Old 07-07-2006, 12:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Deerslayer, Just as some of the guys have said, the most common mistake hunters make is when you are in a stand you must bend at the waist or you will shoot high ever time. Walt
Old 07-07-2006, 12:08 PM
Fork Horn

i am noticing a difference when i shoot both ways from my back deck (10'). whats all this i hear about a pengilum sight though? gary.....