Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

aim low hit high?

Old 07-05-2006, 02:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: aim low hit high?

Your room for error is smaller from above, and so it may seem like it hits high when in reality it goes where you aim it. Deer are also famous for "ducking the string". However, that is an often over used excuse for a miss.
Old 07-05-2006, 03:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

1. Bend at the waist to maintain proper form. I am dead on from the ground or a tree, except when shooting in real tight.
2. Shoot from an elevated position so that you can practice keeping the proper form.
Old 07-05-2006, 06:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

The effect of gravity on the projectile (arrow) is slightly less than when shooting from level ground. I used to adjust my pins from an elevated deck. Last year I tried a pendulum sight and it effectively compensates for the elevation. That being said practice from a raised platform and maintain the proper form(bend at the waist).
Old 07-05-2006, 06:09 PM
Fork Horn

pendulum sight? please explain if it helped....all i have now is 3 pins...red yellow and green...
Old 07-05-2006, 06:18 PM
Super Moderator

Well every deer Ive shot Ive never aimed low and it went high. I hit where I aim. It makes no difference whether Im 20 ft or on the ground. I do practice from the ground and from my stand. Id say maybe you peaked as you release the arrow or bow arm got ya.
Old 07-05-2006, 07:19 PM
Boone & Crockett

I am very surprised and disappointed at some of the veterans here saying that this is true. ??

There are some very correct bowyers here telling you to bend at the waist and aim where you want to hit. That is very correct. It does not matter if you shoot uphill or downhill if you draw straight out, bend at the waist and keep your form you aim for the exact spot where you want to hit or better yet as many said, aim for the exit hole but if you simply drop your arm changing your form you will go high....bend at the waist, practice it and know it when you hit the woods for the real thing.
Old 07-05-2006, 07:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

One thing to remember when hunting out of a treestand is that the direct distance between you and your target isnot the same distance that you shoot from when you are on the ground. Trajectory is based on gravity's pull on the arrow. So even if the deer seems to be 20 yds away from you....he is actually less than that in the distance between the base of the tree and it. That is the distance gravity is pulling on the arrow. Anyone remember Pythagorean's Theorem? A squared plus B squared equals C squared.

Say you are 15ft up a tree and the deer looks to be 20 yds away. Even though the deer looks to be 20 yds away, the distance that gravity has to pull on the arrow is ~13.22 yards. So if you use your 20 pin on a deer ~13.22 yds away...you are going to shoot high.

I always mark distances when I am on the ground, then I don't have to worry about the actual distance once in the tree. I just use the marks as references, and bend at the waist.
Old 07-05-2006, 08:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Deer will have a tendency to squat or duck the string as some call it.
With that said you must still maintain proper form. Like so many others have been saying that means bending at the waist to keep everything in line as you would on the ground.
On a live animal I will aim a little lower than I do on a target to allow for the squat. I still have the pin on the heart area so if they do not squat it will still produce a lethal hit.
Old 07-05-2006, 08:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

PA bow/flinter,
Your math is way off.
15 ft up, 20 yds on the slant to the deer, he is 19.36 yds on the horizontal. Not a real issue when aiming.
Old 07-05-2006, 08:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

Aim dead on, if you miss most likely it was poor forum, enviorment, nerves etc. Aim dead on.

Quick Reply: aim low hit high?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.