Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How do you get in your stand.

Old 07-05-2006, 11:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How do you get in your stand.

I walk in and use a climber. screw ins are illegal on state land here.the hang on i use a climbing stick that i leave on the tree
Old 07-05-2006, 11:53 AM
Dominant Buck

MY Summit will already be cabled to the tree when I arrive. I slowly take the coiled cable off can it can spring back and bang against the stand. I climb the tree slowly and my bow hook will already be in the tree waiting for me. I'll have a hook for the back pack too. I also will have a wheel barrow locked close by 50 yards away in case I get something.I'm one mile from my truck.
C7
Old 07-05-2006, 11:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've used screw in steps for years and still do. I found the Amacker ones screwed in the fastest and easiest but they are no longer made. I haven't found any since that compare. I liked steps because I could fit 11 (which got me up 20', 13 if I wanted a handle above the stand and to be able to step across to the stand) in a fanny pack for easy, quiet access as I installed them. I usually spaced them at knee/waist/mid-chest. This usually gave me a distance equal to the distance from your foot to your knee and fairly simple to step up. As my Amackers are starting to show their age (and fail), and I'm starting to show my age, (my elbows start bothering me when I screw in too many steps even if I use my climbing belt to support me) I'm looking for new solutions for my mobile stand approach and I'm considering the Lone Wolf sticks.
Old 07-05-2006, 12:24 PM

Depends on the tree. If I know the tree I'll be using doesn't have anything in the way between me and the height I want to go to, I'll use my climber. If the tree has cover that I don't want to remove and can't use the climber, I'll use the lock-on. When possible I use the strap-on steps (not sticks). They go on fairly quickly and don't get covered in sap if used on a pine tree. If the tree is too large at the base I'll use screw-ins until I get high enough and the tree thins enough to use the strap-ons.
Old 07-05-2006, 01:17 PM

I use screw in steps.

Why? I hunt from pine trees and I would have to saw off too many branches in order to use climbing sticks. Most of the time I can get away with using just the branches to climb on, but some of the time you can't trust the smaller ones.
Old 07-05-2006, 02:53 PM

I use my climbing stand in order to set up my steps. I found it take far less energy to set up and much safer. I use a hammer to get the steps started and it all good from there on out. Use a rope to get the distance between steps comfortable for me.

Tim