Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

a super dumbo question

Old 07-04-2006, 11:00 PM

Default a super dumbo question

I'm sure everyone will think this is a real stupid question, but...
Just so you know, my dad owned a camping store when I was a kid, I grew up and all my life have been involved in backpacking, rock climbing, kayaks/canoes, fishing, biking- I'm no stranger to the woods. But for some reason, I've just never hunted. So when you field dress an animal, are you supposed to dig a hole and bury the (don't wanna curse here) "junk" that you drain out of the beast?
See, I told you it was a dumbo question, but hey, I'd rather ask a dumb question than do something stupid in the field!
-Thanks!
-Drew
Old 07-05-2006, 12:01 AM

Default RE: a super dumbo question

Some bury the entrails in order to show respect for the animal. Others leave the entrails above the ground for the coyotes. Either way, they are going to become food for scavengers, so it is your choice. A coyote will dig to get to the organs.

If I kill a deer on my land I will bury the organs to show my respect. If I kill a deer on public land I will take them home in a bag with me and bury them, since one is not allowed to alter public land in Mississippi (Digging a hole).

It is your choice.
Old 07-05-2006, 12:29 AM

I'mborn and raisedNorth Carolina, but also in SC, VA WV GA TN AL MD:
The general rules I've grown up camping with are- pee 50 yards away from running water and dig a hole for a bowel movement. Its been rare that I've seen other campers follow these rules, but I do, EVERY TIME. If I'm going to do something, I do it right! So I have a feeling the answer to my question might be, "theoretically, yes, but noone does." If that's the case, let me know, because if that's what we're supposed to do, I don't mind doing it, and I don't mind doing it for anyone else out there who doesn't want to do it themselves.
-Drew
Old 07-05-2006, 06:25 AM
Dominant Buck

Leave it lay .
Old 07-05-2006, 06:44 AM

It is not disrespectful to leave the gut pile where you clean the animal. Of course this should be well back from major trails or roads people may commonly use as predators and other animals will be feeding on it.

I have always thought of it as sharing my kill with nature. If you do become lucky enough to take an animal, you will find a gut pile rarely lasts a full day before it is barely a stain on the ground. The coyotes, raccoons, skunks and then the crows and depending on where you hunt turkey buzzards make very short work of it.
Old 07-05-2006, 06:49 AM
Fork Horn

Happiness is a warm gutpile. Leave it where it falls, mother nature has her own sanitation crew.
Old 07-05-2006, 08:37 AM

yea i agree. leave it.
Old 07-05-2006, 08:44 AM
Fork Horn

I've lived in MI all my life, and have never heard of anyone burying a gut pile or taking it home with them.
This might be due to the fact that when bow season starts in October, we already have frost at night, and cool temp's during the day. By the time gun season comes in mid-November, a gut pile usually freezes with a few hours ofbeing left.
I would say go with local customs and what you feel comfortable with.

Old 07-05-2006, 09:06 AM

some people do it that way others just drag it off, but the only stupid question is the the one never asked
Old 07-05-2006, 11:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

there are no dumb questions others maybe thinking the same thing .i just leave it in the woods the animals take care of it in short time

Quick Reply: a super dumbo question

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.