Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Puzzled By A Lack Of Rut Activity Here In WV!!

Old 11-02-2002, 12:02 PM

Default Puzzled By A Lack Of Rut Activity Here In WV!!

I have been hunting most all season here in West Virginia and must say I have saw ZERO Pre-Rut acitivty here. I have only saw 2 rubs all season and not the first scrape. Last season by this time the ridge I am hunting had about 10 scrapes and 15 or so rubs by Nov 1st. I have talked with other hunters in my area and they all say the same thing. I wonder why I am not seeing any Pre-Rut activity? I sure hope things pick up next week. From the way things are looking the Peak of the rut might be the last week of November here in WV.

HANKFAN
Old 11-02-2002, 12:15 PM

Default RE: Puzzled By A Lack Of Rut Activity Here In WV!!

Hankfan....I know what you are saying. I hunt Nicholas and Fayette Co...and have been out all but 5 days of the season and have seen nothing. No chasing at all...seeing bucks feeding in the same fields as does and nothing....

Maybe Monday morning when I climb into the stand it will all start getting crazy...hope it kicks in soon!

Good luck getting another of those Southern WV bruisers!!!!!

Old 11-02-2002, 12:52 PM

Springgobbler- I hear ya!! Man I have never seen anything like it. The woods are dead here. I have only seen 5 bucks all season and if I would have put all there racks together I might have a decent 8 pointer!!!

Every day it looks more and more like Charles Alsheimer's of (Deer & Deer Hunting) predicitons are right on the money. He predicted that the peak of the rut would be the last week of November through the first week of December. If that's true I might have a long slow 3 weeks ahead of me. Man I wish thinks would pick up!

HANKFAN
Old 11-02-2002, 05:04 PM

??????????lol im havin one of the best years ever, ive had a 150class ten pointer ive seen almost three times a week since season came in, and he has been rutting like crazy, i saw him and a 130class eight point fight each other, and this week they have been chasin does like crazy, saw a couple of does that had their tails up like they were coming into estrous this evening also, now if your talking about scrapes and rubs i havent saw many of those like usualy but im seein the activity,

"She said if I hit that fishin hole today, she's be packin all her things and she'd, be gone by noon....I'm gonna miss her, when I get home."
Old 11-02-2002, 05:46 PM

Hoyt.....what county do you hunt??

I'm off to my best start ever with three in the freezer (one on a 'bonus' tag at Green Bank) but have really seen no chasing or rutting behavior as of yet.

Good luck getting that 150"....post some pics when you bag it!
Old 11-02-2002, 06:09 PM

It looks to me like they are starting to move today. I called in a spike with my little can and he was smelling everything around. I also jumped a small buck that was traveling with a doe..

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!
Old 11-02-2002, 07:18 PM

gobbler i wont be postin any pics of that buck, read my ARHHHH!!!!!!! post and you will see why

"She said if I hit that fishin hole today, she's be packin all her things and she'd, be gone by noon....I'm gonna miss her, when I get home."
Old 11-02-2002, 07:41 PM

I finally saw the forst rubs around my stand today i killed a 4 point this evening cant wait for the jerkey i havnt seen much buck activity in Randolph Co but i sure have had a lot of bear around my stand this year I think the next week or two is going to be good here

Old 11-03-2002, 07:08 AM

Thanks for all the info guys. I sure hope things pick up soon!

HANKFAN
Old 11-03-2002, 07:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hunted up in Elkins a couple weeks ago. saw a few rubs, but nothing major. Full moon kept deer movement down to late in the evenings. I have really found that the "chase phase" starts around mid november, just before the Rifle season opens up. Here in Virgina I have seen several good rub lines, but no scrapes. Had a nice buck come into 25 yards last night, but it was so thick I couldn't get a shot. I grunted at him, and used the "can" bleat call. he stopped both times but really didn't seem intrested. I am off the week after next so it's looking like I may have picked a good week?

TAKE YOUR KIDS HUNTING AND YOU WON'T BE HUNTING FOR YOUR KIDS

Quick Reply: Puzzled By A Lack Of Rut Activity Here In WV!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.