Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

straight down??

Old 07-03-2006, 11:45 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: straight down??

these shots will probably require a second shot if arrow hits just the spine.
hardcore why would you choose to make gun hunters look bad? plus your unwritten rules are best kept tight lipped not good for any hunters.
Old 07-03-2006, 12:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

I think your decision of letting them pass on this shot is a good one. To me, it's not a matter of knowing anatomy at all. It's more of problem of getting through a lot of bone to hit the heart. Without getting into penetration and all that remember that deflections off of bone do happen. It's really not about how good of an acher you are. Remember alsothat it's prettymuch impossible to get both lungs from this type of shot. So if you count the double lung and the heart out, what is left? The liver? Single lung? - Not for me anyway.
Old 07-03-2006, 12:50 PM
Banned

Gunhunters wouldn't look bad. Coyotes and animals had it cleaned up except for bones in 4 days. I just didn't want the broadhead showing out of it's backbone. Many deer are shot by shotgun party hunter slug hunters every year during shotgun season that are never found. Buzzards have to eat same as worms. It didn't go to waste; nature used it.Next time I shoot one with agangrene, pus sac infection,I will call you and you can buy a tag and put yours on it. Party hunting is allowed here and we willwaste your tag on it; just don't have me over for dinner. HCH
Old 07-03-2006, 05:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Motownhonkey, your my new hero! 2 bigguns in 1 year-wow. They don't even come that big EVER in my neck of the woods.

For those of you surprised that they aired this shot, it was a recovery. Just think of all the shots we don't get to see because they ended in a non recovery.

As much as I love watching bowhunting on TV ( I'm addicted) I'm about 100% fed up with "great shot" on an obvious crap shot and " he went down righ there" when in the last frame he was tearing into the next county....ERRRGGG!

BTW I've taken the almost straight down shot on a smaller 40# pig once- sho was yummy. Shisk-ka-bobed her to the ground. But then again her size didn't present much of a penetration challenge.
Old 07-04-2006, 11:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

They were 2 seperate years Dave. These were just two that fell to that paticular shot. I have been blessed to shoot some nice bucks ( though alot of hard work and time was put in) I was just trying to communicate that big bucks hardly ever present themselves in a perfect senairo and there are other lethal shots besides the double lung. I do prefer double lung shots though.
Old 07-04-2006, 11:49 AM
Boone & Crockett

I just assume wait for a good shot. My stats prove it to me(yes I keep track). I have in the past, and will in the futur take a chance. Just the way I am[8D]

46 whitetails killed

43-43 broadside or qrt away
2-3 straight down, lost a doe 10 years ago.
1-3 qrt towards, I tried this shot 4 times now and only recovered one. Which was last year and the deer in my Avitar. There was no "in the heat" shot. I know what I was doing and pulled the trigger. I watched him go down, I got lucky. I will say the deer I lost was because I rushed the track. I have learned to sit in the tree unless i see he deer go down. This shot were an issue, but it was my tracking caused the lost of an animal.
Old 07-04-2006, 02:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's not a good or easy shot. The idea is to hit the spine, if you get the spinal cord at all,he'll drop right away,paralyzed, not nesesarily dead!Even just nicking the spine or major nerver will do it