Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Thinking of scrapping the idea of treestands altogether.

Old 07-04-2006, 07:27 AM

Default RE: Thinking of scrapping the idea of treestands altogether.

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=62748&hvarTarget=sea rch&cmCat=SearchResults I am still thinking but I just found this stand. What do you think? I think it looks pretty versitle. I am still VERY undecided so I have a few more questions. One: do any of you use the treestand mentioned above? Two: how movable is a regular hang on with sticks? And three: When do you suggest is the best time to get your stand out? I would like to know so I know when I should have made up my mind. Thanks again for the input.
Old 07-04-2006, 08:50 AM
Dominant Buck

"When do you suggest is the best time to get your stand out? I would like to know so I know when I should have made up my mind. Thanks again for the input. "Dove

All depends my friend. Ar eyou hunting..
A. Private property.....Ask the land owner...sooner the better.
B. Your own property..do it now
C. Public Property.......I lock up mine the day before the season opens.

As far as the stands. I have never used a hang on stand. I'm a big man and they look uncomfortable to me..

Old 07-05-2006, 12:54 PM
Fork Horn

I have never used that one in the link, nor any other hang on stand. BUT as I look at the pcture, it looks like the climbing step come right up in front, meaning you would have to step aside after getting to the top, lowering the fold-up seat, then swivel-step over to the stand. All the guys I've seen using climbing sticks and hanging stands put the sticks a little to one side to make it easier to transition from steps to stand.
how movable is a regular hang on with sticks?
I hunt with a friend who uses a hang-on stand and sticks. They are VERY movable. He takes his in with him every time he goes hunting, then takes them back out (public land). He straps on the sticks, climbs up and hangs the stand, hooks a rope on his bow, climbs up into the stand and is ready to hunt in less than 10 minutes.
That's the nice thing about this set-up - you are very verstile. If you have hunted in the morning, then come back in the evening and the wind's a different direction, just go set up in that other tree (that you've already scouted) and you'regood to go. I'd say this is better for younger guys than us older guys. Just MHO.
Again - if you're on a budget and have time, and are hunting private land - I'd still go with a couple of ladder stands.

Old 07-05-2006, 03:01 PM

I have heard nothing but good things about double bull blinds..

Tim
Old 07-05-2006, 07:35 PM

I just got the Big Game Escape Deluxe hub style blind. I really like it and think it is well worth the $150 when you consider what else is out there for near that price. Tall and large enough to take a standing shot and shoot through windows all the way around that you can open and close silently. The camo is pretty good and its a breeze to set up and take down. My 2 cents.