Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Reading on Stand

Old 06-29-2006, 09:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Reading on Stand

I've got a small pocket New Testament that's cover is camo; I got it while in the Army National Guard and have kept it all these years. Works great.
Old 06-29-2006, 09:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

To each his own.
Old 06-29-2006, 09:22 PM

man, i carry about anything i can to keep me from losing interest. i carry a small sportsmen bible, a deer hunting book, such as " Precision Bowhunting," magazines, anything. i also carry the yatzee game, battleship, checkers, poker, you name it.
Old 06-29-2006, 11:31 PM

I done light homework on stands many times and once brought my laptop out to my gun hunting blind before. You do what you gotta do to get out their.
Old 06-30-2006, 01:00 AM
Dominant Buck

I take my New Testament and try to read 20 chapters before I leave out of my stand. After I read one chapter I wait for 20 minutes before reading the next. That puts me in the stand all day.

Positives...seems to put you in good standing with God.I was hunting in a tough WMA two years ago .Every so many chapters I used the Primos can. I heard something coming and continued to read with my ears wide open. Then...out pranced a young buck. Now the negative..LOL

I had a New Testament in my hand ,the scope cover on and the buck is looking at me. I slid the Book down my shirt and carefully puled off the cover. By now the buck was nearly out of a good shot. I quickly put the cross hairs on him and dropped him. I now leave scope covers off. I find reading helps me from fidgeting in my pack etc. It keeps me still
C7
Old 06-30-2006, 01:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

yes I take a book or a journal so i can record notes.......
Old 06-30-2006, 07:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Not me! Last year I was reading and got the feeling I was being watched, well a doe was staring at me! Totally busted me. Hearing? yeah the squirells kept me lookink up but the doe came in silent. No reading for me!
Old 06-30-2006, 08:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

I read as well on stand. I usually take a hunting magazine, but I also bring novels with, depends on my mood really! I do really enjoy reading and it definitely helps pass the slow times.
Old 06-30-2006, 10:06 AM

I've tried it but it didn't work for me. I got frustrated because my paranoia wouldn't let me pay enough attention to the book!

I've actually been thinking about bringing one of those tiny notepads and a pen or even maybe a PDA and writing rather than reading.
Old 06-30-2006, 12:07 PM
Fork Horn

I've always read on the stand, since I was a little kid. Before I could read, I would take an etchasketch and eventually a gameboy. Wasn't untill the last few years I started reading scripture on the stand. Read a paragraph or two, and look around. Always rifle-hunting out of a box blind or sitting on a side of a hill.I've never done it bowhunting. Always felt it was too much movement. I've also always kept my bow in hand the whole time im in the stand.

A few years ago,a VB.net programmer I worked with went hunting with his dad. We had a big website project that was deadlined the day he was supposed to get back. He spent a few hundred dollars in cell phone bill using it for internet access while programming and uploading and stuff while sitting in a box blind. He was done with his part before we were done with ours!

Quick Reply: Reading on Stand

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.