Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Drop away or fletching contact rests?

Old 06-30-2006, 07:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Drop away or fletching contact rests?

wb that is my answer
Old 07-01-2006, 04:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

So a lot has been said about both and usually when a lot is said there are things that are not, doesn't mean they apply, just not said so speculation is there. Here are3 that I've come up with concerning the biscut.

1. You have to shoot blazers. (I like a choice myself for different reasons other than durability.)
2. They can do well in Vegas. (I'm guessing those shots at that target, Rick were with points not BH.)
3. AS far as how a biscut affects flight I think unless they've changed, they only offer 2 size holes while there are many different size (not just diameter, weight, length even finish) shafts some I'm sure fit better thus preform better than others and may be the reason some have problems while others don't understand since there's is fine. A drop wouldn't matter as it's like a prong/springy style, adjustable.

Just something to consider.
Old 07-01-2006, 05:37 AM

excellent discussion fellows - and ladies.
Old 07-01-2006, 07:33 AM
Banned

QS, I don't believe that a dropaway rest is any more of a fad than parallel limb bows and having pulleys on a bow is. As far as durabilityI shoot mine daily andI am using the same trophy taker that I had on my old Xtec. It is now on my Trykon. It was setup once on my Xtec and it has been setup once on my Trykon. No repeat visits back and forth to a pro shop to adjust it. I also have one on my new Tribute; setup once and no repeat visits to the proshop.Nothing to fail on a TT anymore than a WB could fail. One string and a spring. A WB has a million bristles that could get wet, cold, and freeze,not to mention that it seems that everybody has to only shoot blasers through a WB and I can shoot anything I want through mine. People can say what they want, but I have a friend that runs a pro shop and he keeps in the refletching business due to the WB. He says he loves them for that reason. He shoots a trophy taker for his indoor league and 3D competitions. Most of his friends do to or they use springy steel rests that give way with the release of an arrow and also provide no fletch contact. Ifyou areworried about failure of technology I wouldn't shoot a compound bow as a pulley might fall off. The trophy taker is as durable and failproof as any WB. Like Paul stated, if an arrow is falling off of your rest you are doing something wrong....Don't blame the rest..blame yourself, the shooter.HCH
Old 07-01-2006, 09:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

It was setup once on my Xtec and it has been setup once on my Trykon. No repeat visits back and forth to a pro shop to adjust it.
As far as this goes, this is not 100% true with any linkage systemtied into your down buss cable.

The reason is before you have your strings shot in theymovewhether from stretch / creep, poor string craftsmanship and or poor materials.

Also, not to mention they will keep creeping ifone is not taking care oftheir string / cables regularly.

Some may only stretch / creepa very slight amount while other string / cablesstretch / creep quite a bit.

So in essence when your cables have stretched / creeped from being shot in, or not taken care of your restis no longer tied into the sweet spot forits timing.

Your restmust be readjusted after you twist your string / cables back into proper timing and rotation.

Just my observations.
Old 07-01-2006, 11:01 AM
Banned

I hadn't had any issues withthe prestretched/ no creepwinner's choice string thathad on my Xtec. Bow shot the same from day one for two years withalmost daily shooting. Never went back to the shop for anything.The fuse string too is suppossed to be prestretched /no creep on my Trykon. The Trykon has had at least 1000 arrows through it with no adjustments. I hope my factory Bowtech string lives up to this quality too. I suppose that if you shoot crappy strings than this is an issue.HCH
Old 07-01-2006, 11:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

Hardcore

All strings will stretch once installed on a bow. Prestretched or not.

Like I said though some stretch very little ( quality materials with quality craftsmanship) and some stretch quite a bit (for any number of reasonsex.quality materials with faulty loops etc etc).

I am just pointing out that any rest tied into your cablesisn't justset it and forget it. They need to be checked to make sure the bows tune isn't affecting the rests performance.
Old 07-01-2006, 12:04 PM

My bowtech has not moved since the day I got it and it is two years old. How do I know this, I marked the cam so I would know when it stretched. And so far nothing. I am even missing a few strands and it is still in the same place. It does need replaced though.

If they do stretch it is not enough that you can notice or that it would effect tuning or timing.

Paul
Old 07-01-2006, 12:10 PM
Banned

Mine haven't either Paul. HCH
Old 07-01-2006, 04:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

My bowtech has not moved since the day I got it and it is two years old. How do I know this, I marked the cam so I would know when it stretched. And so far nothing. I am even missing a few strands and it is still in the same place. It does need replaced though.

If they do stretch it is not enough that you can notice or that it would effect tuning or timing.

Paul
I have to say from my experiences this would be the exception not the norm.

I have never owned a bow that I did not have any string stretch or creep occur on, let aloneafter two years.

Must be why there are so many custom string companies....... To replace all of the no stretch, nocreep factory strings.

Quick Reply: Drop away or fletching contact rests?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.