Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Drop away or fletching contact rests?

Old 06-29-2006, 09:44 AM

Default RE: Drop away or fletching contact rests?

i don't think anyone is arguing, just giving info.
Old 06-29-2006, 01:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I started with a spring steel fork rest on my first bow, and I had arrows pop off the rest at just the wrong time, twice, and not long after that, the first WB was on the market, so I switched to it hoping to avoid the same problem. I liked the orignal WB, except it was hard on my fletchings, and I didn't care for the rear loading only of the rest. Eventually, I got a TR drop zone and I liked it too, never had any real problems with it, but when I sold my last bow, I let the rest go with it, and I bought the new and improved WB and have also switched to the blazer vanes no, and I shoot as good with the new WB as I ever did with the TR drop zone.
What I wonder is how many guys preach that a fall away rest is the only way, BUT yetpreach that mechincal broadheads are the deveils curse because of possible failures with the moving parts??[8D]
Old 06-29-2006, 02:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good point about the mechanical broadheads. A friend of mine swears by mechanicals but will NEVER use a drop away rest...I guess that would be the opposite of what you had said...but similar.
Old 06-29-2006, 03:50 PM

i suspect he'll be back to adropper after he See's what that thing does to the fletching
I highly suspect I won't. A buddy of mine, actually, 2, have the biscuit and use Blazers, as do I. They have no trouble w/ them getting messed up at all. Those blazers are plenty rigid to handle it.

I agree, though, that some of the more flimsy fletchings, such as the Quick Spin and Duravanes, do wrinkle quite easily through the buscuit. I also know that feathers work very well through them, and they don't get messed up either. The WB is just a fantastic hunting rest no matter how you cut it.
Old 06-29-2006, 04:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

And some pretty good info too Giblet. Never gave that creep/drop thing a thought.
Old 06-29-2006, 05:20 PM
Typical Buck

Throw me on the WB pile. I love it and see absolutely no reason to change. I robinhooded a few arrows right after I got it tuned up. I guess I could get more accurate.... I guess. Anyway, that seems plenty good enough. As for vane damage - I shoot both plastic and feathers and have no problems. I did get some wavy vanes with the first WB on my old bow but I slapped it on and fairly quickly started grouping good and thought I had it set. That's one thing I've noticed with the WB - you can get good groups although it may not be tuned properly. The out of tune giveaways for me has been vane damage and I also noticed I would get off flights with some fixed broadheads, mostly larger cutting diameter ones.
Old 06-29-2006, 05:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

i like using a drop away because i just like the idea that it doesn't make contact with the fletching
Old 06-29-2006, 07:01 PM

I like the drop aways as well but my brother shoots a bisquit and after tune issues resolved it is a good hunting rest,not for me I won't trade my mze.As for string creep,that makes alot of sense and is something to watch for ,except I think if you have the stop screw set properly on the mze the arm won't drop unless you almost hit the point of let down.

Old 06-29-2006, 07:06 PM

Neither, I have a Quickrest.
Then again, I'd probably have adrop-away if not for the $$$$.
BUt I never could understand the insistance of "no effect" concerning a WB.
Old 06-29-2006, 10:40 PM

I've been shooting the W/B daily since I got my new bow 3 months ago and LOVE it! I tried the drop away rests when I was looking at new bows and actually had a few arrows fall off. So I tried the W/B and never looked back. I also have zero affect on my fletchings.

Quick Reply: Drop away or fletching contact rests?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.