Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

First year bowhunter needs your thoughts

Old 11-01-2002, 09:12 PM

Default First year bowhunter needs your thoughts

I've been hunting whitetail for 34 years.This is my first year bowhunting.I have my stand about 18' in a tree.It's at the edge of a cut cornfield.The first day I sat till dark deer came within range but not until it was too dark to shoot.The next day I was there and 3 deer came in when there was still enough light.I pulled my bow back when 1 deer came within range,it did not offer a good shot so I let down.I pulled back again when I saw a deer walking broadside and would offer a shot as soon as it cleared some branches.It stopped about 15 yards out and I had a good broadside shot.I let the arrow fly and the deer I shot at did a 180.It took off running with the other 2.I can't see much of the cornfield because of overhanging tree branches.I watched and listened till all was quiet.It looked like they ran through the field,it also sounded like they did.I got down,went to my truck and got a lantern.I found my arrow and it was covered with blood.It was dark by then so I went back the next day.The cornfield is about 200 yards wide.There is alot of golden rod around the field that stands about 5 feet high.I marked the area where I found my arrow but I did not mark the exact spot.I looked for any hair or blood where I thought the deer was standing.I thought maybe I hit the deer high and started to expand my search.I moved very slowly and had a spray bottle of hydrogen peroxide with me.To make a long story a little shorter I looked for nine hours in the field and around it.I did not find any blood.I made 1 mistake by taking my arrow out of the ground,if I had it to do over I would have.I'm totally bummed out,what could have happened?Has this ever happened to any of you?I'm just wishing I only grazed the deer and it will be ok.The arrow did not smell bad,like it was gut shot.How long will the meat still be good if the high stays around 40 to 45?Thanks for any help you may offer.

GUNS AND KNOWLEDGE ARE THE BEST PROTECTION AGAINST TERRORISM
Old 11-01-2002, 09:43 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-02-2002, 01:29 AM

Default RE: First year bowhunter needs your thoughts

what i do is when i find my arrow i pull it out evaluate it and stick it right back in streight up and down. the rest has already been said

Old 11-02-2002, 06:03 AM

Default RE: First year bowhunter needs your thoughts

The first thing I allways try to do after shooting a deer is to replay the event in my mind several times before getting down from my stand.Which way did the deer run?Pick a landmark or take a compass reading to the last spot you saw the deer.Listen,did the deer crash or fall?After getting down I try to establish the blood trail from where I shot.Only if I dont find blood will I go to the last spot I saw the deer.Evaluating the hit from the signs on the arrow and the circumstances decides how long I wait to take up the trail.If I feel the hit is good I start trailing.Slowly and quietly.I mark the trail as I go with flagging.This makes it easier to pick up the trail later if necessary or to back track if you get turned around.Hunting down south where it is often hot during bow season I allways trail deer at night unless the situation dictates waiting(bad shot).I see alot of hunters who are reluctant to trail deer at night.I've allways done it out of necessity.Don't be afraid to go get help if you are not comfortable trailing a deer at night alone.If I decide to come back in the morning I will try to establish a trail or find some blood before leaving.It is alot easier to find sign when it is fresh.Coming back in the mornings when the ground is wet with dew can make it hard to find small specs of blood.The other mistake I see guys make is when they don't find blood right away they take off and start tromping around looking for obvious sign.Many times you will walk over and mess up the trail if it is only small specs of blood.Start from where the deer was when shot and get down on your knees and look for sign.Go slow.Take your time.Look for specs of blood,leaves turned over,hoof prints etc.Slowly expand your search.If you find blood start looking in all directions for another spot.Resist the temptation to move up ahead until you have looked thoroughly.Lastly,everyone who hunts will lose a deer at one time or another.The thing to do is learn from it.What went wrong?What can I do different?Hope this helps,good luck.

Billy

WHACKEM N STACKEM