Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

have you passed up a BUCK

Old 11-01-2002, 05:16 PM

Default have you passed up a BUCK

Today I passed up a small 7 point while hunting in 28 mph winds. He browsed for nearly 45 minutes within in 20 yards. This year i am looking to take a buck with at least a 16" spread. Has anyone else passed up on any buck this year. IF so, what do you consider to be a shooter??
eddie
Old 11-01-2002, 05:41 PM

Default RE: have you passed up a BUCK

I was still hunting today and the 14 pt I have been hunting came about 60 yards away from me I thought about taking the shot then I said wait dont want to spook him in his comfort zone because conditions werent right for that long of A shot. I will get A little closer to his comfort zone that I have been trying to find for many years and try to take him.I would say hes got A 20 to 23 " spread with real long tines and thats big for A tennessee deer hes an old one that I may never see for 3 more years but im gonna hunt him it just felt good to see him again and get that feeling I love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by - dstrick9 on 11/01/2002 18:45:39
Old 11-01-2002, 05:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

I had a yearling spike at 15 yards last time, and tonight I had a little fawn button buck at five feet from the base of my tree. He sure was a cute little sucker!

A shooter for me is one that is approaching Pope & Young, somewher around the 125" mark.

dstrick9, I don't know if conditions would ever get right for a 60-yard shot at a live animal!

Discipline -- not desire -- determines destiny.
Old 11-01-2002, 06:11 PM

Nope. Only in my truck!

Trushot }}------>
Old 11-01-2002, 06:23 PM

i passed up a 7 point and a larger 6 point opening day... they were sparing about 25 yards from my tree for about 15 minutes... i was hoping for something bigger.. well i havnt had a larger buck in my range since then... think i made the wrong choice? im beginning to think so.
Old 11-01-2002, 06:36 PM
JRW
Nontypical Buck

Haven't passed up any bucks yet this year...except for buttons.

JRW
Old 11-01-2002, 06:40 PM
Typical Buck

last weekend i passed on a 4 point and two doe.i think its the goal of every hunter to harvest a trophy buck for the wall but what most of us end up taking home is a much lesser buck.i realy don't have a set size or number of points,each buck is differenti judge each buck when i see him.i like a rack that is wider then his ears with mass.
Old 11-01-2002, 06:50 PM

I've passed on Y's and spikes this year - but did harvest a Y at one point because it was right...

I'm holding out with an 'any deer' tag for a good one - as MQ1 stated - approaching the 125 range

(wishfull thinking?? Only the dawn of New Year's day will tell!!)

Aim small miss small
Old 11-01-2002, 06:51 PM

So far i have passed on 4 bucks.Rather young deer 2 1/2 -3 yrs of age.Myself and surrounding area deer hunters have all agreed to take only mature bucks.That way we have quality deer to harvest for years to come.
Does are a differant story....

It's not how big the Deer,But the size of the experiance that matters!!
Old 11-01-2002, 06:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

I pass up at least a dozen different bucks every year while bowhunting. If it'll make P&Y I'll shoot it, i've only let one of them guys guys walk by me in all my years of hunting, and that's because there was a B&C buck behind it. Passing them up is the only way they get a chance to become something bigger.
Visit My Hunting Page

Quick Reply: have you passed up a BUCK

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.