Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Why Carbon

Old 06-24-2006, 05:50 AM
Spike

Default Why Carbon

I am wondering why I should switch to carbon arrows instead of aluminum. I shoot a Ross CR334, 27" draw at 50#. Currently shooting 2213 aluminum arrows with a 100gr broadhead, total arrow weight 410gr. I would like to shoot an arrow of approximately the same weight, at least I think I would like to. I don't know my bow speed but I would estimate it out at around 265-275 fps. My concern is the kenetic energy/penetration area actually. I hunt in VA, primarly for Whitetail. I know I can buy carbon arrows in the 8gpi range and end up with an arrow close to the weight I currently shoot so why should I switch, can someone explain and show me that a lighter, thereby a somewhat faster arrow, will provide the requisite Ke. Thanks in advance for the advice.
Old 06-24-2006, 07:02 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Why Carbon

If it ain't broke then why fix it ?

I've shot a few carbons and didn't notice anysignificant advantage to them . The only difference I saw was speed , BFD , speed doesn't impress me enough to want to retool my rig and form to accomodate it. Aluminum kills just as dead and is cheaper to replace . I prefer a heavier arrow for hunting anyway .

Old 06-24-2006, 07:10 AM
Banned

Carbons are just way more durable; I shoot a deer with my carbon arrow and it goes back in my quiver to hunt another day. I shot aluminum for 20 yrs and carbon for 5 now. NO WAY you could get me to go back to crappy alumunum.
HCH[/align]
Old 06-24-2006, 07:38 AM
bigcountry

I have been shooting carbons for 8 years now. And forgot all about aluminums. Last two deer I shot, I didn't get full penetration and the deer broke the carbons anyway. But this year, I have gone to longbow, and shoot some alum's thru it. I forgot how straight they are and really they are decently durable as long as you don't miss your target. And really not much lighter than carbons. I see no reason for you to switch unless you just want to.

Old 06-24-2006, 08:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

You can find info about it with a search. Enough info to make me want to shoot some side by side. Having said that I switched to carbon whatever years ago. Pass through on Va. deer are no problem. It really is a non issues. Accuracy on the other hand maybe is.

Try some and see!
Old 06-24-2006, 08:24 AM

I started with carbons and switched to aluminums. I think carbons need to come a bit farther in the quality department before I switch back to them. There are some good ones out there, but not at a price I am willing to pay. And the advantages just are not that great to me.

I think you may be off a bit on your speed as well. If you are shooting 270 fps with a 27 inch draw, 50lbs of draw weight and 410 grn arrows that is one fast bow you have. I could be wrong, but that sounds a bit fast to me for that draw weight.

Paul
Old 06-24-2006, 09:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: cdrmjjohnson

I am wondering why I should switch to carbon arrows instead of aluminum. I shoot a Ross CR334, 27" draw at 50#. Currently shooting 2213 aluminum arrows with a 100gr broadhead, total arrow weight 410gr. I would like to shoot an arrow of approximately the same weight, at least I think I would like to. I don't know my bow speed but I would estimate it out at around 265-275 fps. My concern is the kenetic energy/penetration area actually. I hunt in VA, primarly for Whitetail. I know I can buy carbon arrows in the 8gpi range and end up with an arrow close to the weight I currently shoot so why should I switch, can someone explain and show me that a lighter, thereby a somewhat faster arrow, will provide the requisite Ke. Thanks in advance for the advice.
First off nice bow, i've heard they are awesome bows! I would love to try the CR334 myself if we ever get a dealer anywhere close by. We have one here in NC but it's a 4hr drive for me and thats just to far to go to test drive a bow.
If your speed estimation is correct then your getting about 64# of ke now and thats enough to shoot through anything in north america(i think). Iknow you said you were estimating your speeds butwith your specs it would be hard to get those speeds out of that bow. Only way to really know is shoot it through a chrony. Unless you're just wanting to tinker and try something different i'd just keep shooting the set-up you have as long as your confident in it. If you switch to carbon and staywith the same weightthe only thing you'll gain will be the durability factor.

I thinkboth alum and carbon have their place in archery. IMO aluminums will always be straighter and carbons more durable but the straightness and tolerances of carbons have definately improvedover the years. I shot aluminum for about 14yrs before switching to carbon andhavebeen shooting carbon now for about 8yrs and i have no regrets about making the change. Iagree though if you miss your target you'll damage either one but i think the carbon is the least likely to get damaged the most. I've hit objects that an aluminum would not stand up to but a carbon did. I have one carbon arrow right now thats i've killed 4 deer with and i'm still using it for a practice arrow, i can't say that about an aluminum.Also i don't buy into the statement that"carbons are either straight or broke" because i've personallyexperienced otherwise. Having said all that, i don't plan on ever going back to aluminums because the carbons have performed great for me and their durability was well worth the switch.
If your only concern in trying carbons isnot having enough KE and penetrationyou can rest assured,at 50#a 410gr carbon arrowwill have plenty of both and will serve you well as long as you do your part and place the arrow in the kill zone.I suggest maybe trying to find somewhere that you couldjust purchase a few carbons and give them a try, i honestly don't think you'd regret it.Good luck. >------> Mike

Old 06-24-2006, 10:54 AM
Spike

My speed estimation was just that, I really have no idea what speed the bow is producing. I will try and get it timed. By what I am hearing I think I will just stay with the aluminum set-up, I surely am not going to make any major gains by switching. I thank every one for their inputs.
Old 06-24-2006, 08:12 PM
Dominant Buck

Well, it would make a great FISH story. Your 50 pound bow at 27 inch draw with a 425 grain arrow isn't going to come close to what you're thinking. I don't care who's bow it is. It's not happening. Also, I suspect your shafts are a little stiff for your setup, unless you cut them real long, but hey, that's just me and the charts.
Old 06-24-2006, 08:15 PM
Banned

ORIGINAL: davidmil

Well, it would make a great FISH story. Your 50 pound bow at 27 inch draw with a 425 grain arrow isn't going to come close to what you're thinking. I don't care who's bow it is. It's not happening. Also, I suspect your shafts are a little stiff for your setup, but hey, that's just me and the charts.
YEP.
HCH[/align]

Quick Reply: Why Carbon

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.