Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Why Carbon

Old 06-24-2006, 09:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Why Carbon

speed and durability
Old 06-24-2006, 11:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Cougars09

speed and durability

You forgot price!
Old 06-25-2006, 07:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

I started shooting carbon arrows probably around 10 years ago.Buddies of mine were doing it so I went along for the ride.I shot ACC's for a while but was discouraged by the cost and the fact that their side walls caved when struck by another arrow when practicing.In a nut shell that's the biggest benefit to an all carbon arrow,it's durability you can glance off them and not destroy the arrow.Yes you pick up some speed as well.

Old 06-25-2006, 09:20 AM

That is completely false! I have seen many carbon arrows ruined by glancing arrows off from them. I would actually suggest throwing a carbon away if you do that. It can damage the arrow internally and you will not even know it. It can ruin the spine of the arrow and very possibly make it unsafe.

Carbons are more resilient than aluminum but they are not indistructable.

Paul
Old 06-25-2006, 09:31 AM
Banned

All I know is that I have a basement full of junk BENT aluminum arrows and they were shot out of an old Bear Alaskan II bow that was probably lucky to fling an arrow at 200 fps. Can't imagine a 270-280 fps bow firing an aluminum arrow into something other than a target without them bending. I like to shoot squirrels and rabbits in my yd. Carbons are the better choice for me.
HCH
[/align]
Old 06-25-2006, 10:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: cdrmjjohnson

I am wondering why I should switch to carbon arrows instead of aluminum. I shoot a Ross CR334, 27" draw at 50#. Currently shooting 2213 aluminum arrows with a 100gr broadhead, total arrow weight 410gr. I would like to shoot an arrow of approximately the same weight, at least I think I would like to. I don't know my bow speed but I would estimate it out at around 265-275 fps. My concern is the kenetic energy/penetration area actually. I hunt in VA, primarly for Whitetail. I know I can buy carbon arrows in the 8gpi range and end up with an arrow close to the weight I currently shoot so why should I switch, can someone explain and show me that a lighter, thereby a somewhat faster arrow, will provide the requisite Ke. Thanks in advance for the advice.
i would like to have you try a smaller shaft ,with that short of an arrow you mite be surprised how small you can go .you mite even get into a 1916
sounds funny i know but I'm doing it with a lot more poundage then your using .and wow do them small diameter shafts penetrate
Old 06-26-2006, 05:44 PM

Certainly don't switch to carbon for the lighter weight. I don't think light weightarrows are a good choice for hunting. I wouldn't go much below 425 grains (my humble opinion). Personally, I lean toward the heavier carbon arrows, not the super light ones. My carbon arrows are heavier than many aluminums ofsimilar spine,and I'd like to keep it that way. I think the biggest advantage to carbon is durability.
Old 06-26-2006, 06:33 PM

I switched from aluminum to carbon and won't go back. I killed 2 deer and 1 turkey with the same arrow last season. Also, carbon takes a beating. I have a closet full of aluminum thats no good to me.
Old 06-26-2006, 06:37 PM

Why carbon??

Why not?
Old 06-26-2006, 06:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

Although I shoot carbons, I don't find much difference between them and carbons. I didn't go thru that many aluminums and I still break carbons off in deer.

Quick Reply: Why Carbon

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.