Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Frustrated....how long to bag a deer....

Old 11-02-2002, 01:54 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Frustrated....how long to bag a deer....

schlich92 do not get frustrated, you have received some good advice, I will share some more, I just got my first bowkill yesterday, it was my 3rd full season of bowhunting, but I am far from being a rookie, I have killed a lot of deer in my 35+ years of hunting, but all with a gun. Bow hunting is taking gun hunting to the 9th degree.

Pre-season scouting is far more important with bow, you have to know exactly where the deer are moving, not within 50-60 yards. You have to place your stand in the perfect spot as close to where the deer will be coming through as possible and always make sure the wind is totally in your favor. Your concealment and camo must be as close to perfect as possible. You have to be aware of every movement and where that deer that is 10 yards away is looking, if their head is not behind a tree or down and feeding, you can not move, you have to wait until the head is down or behind a tree to draw. When a deer is staring right at you, you have to have your eyes down to a slit and be perfectly still or you will be busted.

The most important thing you need to do is to be observant of everything you do, learn from your mistakes and your successes. Practice, practice, practice with the bow, you want it to become second nature to shoot, this year was the first year I can say that shooting a bow felt natural to me, a gun has always seemed natural to me, for the first time bow hunting this year when I saw that doe I drew, the pin fell right where I wanted it, I bleated, she froze, and I released, it all felt natural, what a rush. Be patient, your time will come. Good luck

The Tazman aka Martin Price
Founder and President of
Virginia Disabled Outdoorsmen Club
Old 11-05-2002, 09:34 AM

I appreciate all of the feedback! I do enjoy my time in the stand, maybe not always the squirrels, but it is relaxing. I am hopeful that things will fall into place and I will get my chance. One of the reasons that I got into bow hunting was the amount of relaxation that I get from target practice. I started bringing a couple of practice arrows with, I shoot them from my stand before I get down. It is a great sport, just have to remember that learning is a process and not a destination. I am happy to have so many replies, my hopes are up, and I am looking forward to my next outing!

Old 11-05-2002, 09:52 AM

schlich92,

My first year bowhunting (1997) was a trainwreck! I saw some deer but I made so many rookie mistakes its not even funny. My first bow kill was a small doe which came to me by shear luck.

I wish I had a forum like this to read when I began. It would have saved me alot of hassle!!

My first bit of advice is to never give up. My second would be to read as much as you can about scouting for deer and setting up stands. You'll never hit one if they don't walk inside your effective range.

Heck, I totally feel your pain! I've been hunting turkeys since '97 and have YET to harvest one!!!

-Mike

Old 11-05-2002, 10:10 AM
Super Moderator

Hang in there schlich. Bowhunting is a specisl thing. That's why most become so passionate with it. While it is nice to harvest an animal it is a bonus to the real thing....The hunt.
Old 11-05-2002, 10:38 AM
Spike

It took me 3 years to bag a deer. This seems like an average for most. Every year after I have gotten deer so keep trying. Watch your scent, Wash your clothes in scent free soap (same with yourself) store your clothes in rubbermaid tubs to keep odors away. Watch the wind you want it in your face and blowing away from where you expect the deer to come from. Early season hunt food sources, later I hunt trails leading to both food and bedding areas. During the rut the bucks will cruse the bedding areas trying to shake a doe out of her bed. When you are out in the woods look for droppings, this is a good indicator deer are spending time in this area. Don't move much when you are in the stand, deer can spot you move from a long ways and you may never see them. If you do move do it slowly.
Good luck,
Bill

Old 11-05-2002, 10:57 AM

Hey Schlich,
I'm in my second season of bowhunting too and still haven't got one. And I live on an 80 acre farm that has a good bedding area and open pastures on it. I have at least 10 to 15 deer living on my farm and another 40 to 50 living on the properties around me. I see deer every afternoon I go out. I'm on a leave of absence right now from my job so I hunt every day. That's alot of deer sightings and still no deer. Like everone else says, it takes patience and a little luck. But always keep the wind in your favor when possible. That fact cost me a shot at a real nice 8 point buck Saturday night. Oh well, it was real exciting just calling to him and watching him turn and come towards me. You'll get one. And so will I.
Old 11-05-2002, 11:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

Wow... I don't feel so bad. I am the same way. I am a "newbie" with my first year bow hunting from a ground blind. There are times when I have self doubt and sit back thinking, "what the heck am I doing this for?" and want to give it up. But sure enough, come Saturday morning 5:00am, there I am getting a cup of coffee for the road and heading on out to try again.

At least I saw a doe and an 8 point buck my last time out. I had the buck at full draw and couldn't do it (#1 - he was facing me head on and wouldn't move. #2 - I have morals and ethics and couldn't see myself taking a front chest shot).

Butch
Old 11-05-2002, 11:57 AM

Schlich 92,

I like you had beginners luck my first day of bowhunting this 2002 season on October 1st here in Michigan. Within the first hour of daylight I shot an 8-Point. Since then I have had little to no chance of any shots with my bow. However, part of my enjoyment is just being in the stand and watching wildlife so close to me. Just being out there even though its sometimes cold, is most of the fun of it. But putting my bead of my sight on a deer is always heart thumping.

Keep the faith and have patience my friend...
Old 11-05-2002, 01:05 PM

This is my First year Bow hunting, I have been out 5 times and seen Deer 3 times. Every time I head out I thank the land owner for permission to hunt on his property. There are only 3 of us that Bow hunt on his 350 acers.

I have Passed up a 13yard shot at a 4 pt, and a small doe. But This past weekend, had a shot at a monster of a 12pt. Pulled back the old bow, and could not see him through my peep. So I had to sit there and "as put by the land owner" let the buck of a lifetime go. But even after 2 sleepless nights thinking about uncle Buck (what we named him) I can't wait to make the 5 hour (this friday) trip back to Central NY for my next time out!

Good Luck!