Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

string replacement

Old 06-22-2006, 04:59 PM

Default string replacement

Just curious how often are you supposed to replace strings? My bow is about 4 years old with its original strings. Also any advice on brand? What price should I expect to pay?
Old 06-22-2006, 05:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: string replacement

Depends on how often you shoot it and wax the string. If it is frayed replace it. A guy on here sells (makes) awsome strings Gibblet is his member name.
Old 06-22-2006, 09:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

it is probably time to replace them . check for wear if frayed replace. many replace them each year
Old 06-22-2006, 09:19 PM
Banned

I had a winners's choice on my Xtec. Great string ...$100. I won't use a rubber tube on my peep so it was the choice I went with.
HCH[/align]
Old 06-23-2006, 05:06 AM

that's an awful long time. probably a good idea to change them sooner than 4 years. i'll say this as a hunter and not a string maker - when i go to hunt deer out of town for a week, i've got a backup set already shot in, dialed in, and withserving for the drop-away installed ina baggy with the loops tied together so they won't twist or untwist. in case i have an accident at camp or in the woods - 5 minutes on a portable press and i'm up and running again instead of scrambling to the nearest shop and hoping they have a set for my bow. i get a lot of emergency calls in season - and that is not the time to be calling with an emergency - because it seems everyone is having one.
Old 06-23-2006, 10:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

I recommend every two years depending and 4 years is a long time...I recommend changing them, in fact the post above mine is whom you want to contact. Gibblet makes some tremendous strings, you'd be wise to have him go ahead and make you a new set. Contact him right away. I'd use him myself if I didn't make my own.
Old 06-23-2006, 04:19 PM

Thanks guys. I can't see anything wrong with the ones I have but they've been on a while so Im gonna go ahead and change um
Old 06-23-2006, 07:24 PM

you're due for a set...talk to Gibblet...here is a pic of the set he made for me.

Bo

Old 06-28-2006, 06:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

four years is a long time and you can't always see damage. Some string materials do not frey, some do and it means nothing at times. Also, most strings break under the serving where you can't get wax to them.

Also depends on how often you shoot, how "nice" you are (do you drag your bow through brush alot or sit in tree stands), dusty dry weather, etc etc

In any case, 4 years is a while.

Old 06-28-2006, 09:33 AM
Fork Horn

four years is a long time zebra or a winners choice would be your best bet