Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Best Learned Lessons...

Old 06-14-2006, 10:58 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Best Learned Lessons...

A couple of years ago I wenton an afternoon huntwith the father of myg/f (at that time) on a fairly windy day. We were hunting about 500 yds apart.I was walking through a milo field to get to this tree line bording asmall thicket. Kicked up a button buckthat was bedded in the headland of the field, right next tothe treeline. Proceeded to hang my climber on the tree, tiedon my bow rope, and tied the rope to my bow. Then I walked out to the edge of thetreeline (it was about 10 yds wide) to lay some dominant buck scent. No sooner had I gotten into the open when a 160"8pt. (one of the bigger bodied deer I've seen...close to 300lb on the hoof....and the fat on his ass jiggled when he came to a stop! no joke) came barreling straight to me. I duckedback into the treeling and "hid" behind a sapling/brush b/c at the time I thought this deer was coming at me b/c of the scent I was putting out. Anyways, he stopped about 10 yds off the treeline...perfect quartering away shot, then moved about 5 more yards out into the field. I was trying desperately to reach my bow...could almost reach the wheel but not quite. The buck ran off...no shot...just a broken heart on my behalf. After the hunt me and the guy I was hunting with swapped stories. While he was walking out to his spot he kicked up this same buck (bedded in the milo), it stood up and offered a perfect shot but he couldn't get it off...so the deer eventually ran to me.

Moral of the story: When it's daylight, I ALWAYS walk to my stand with my release on and ALWAYS carry my bow with me when putting out scent! If I had done this that day, I would have a damn nice deer on the wall. Oh well, live and learn!
Old 06-15-2006, 06:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

I too would also have to say is always wear your release to and from the stand, i had a story similiar to GPSsnFORDS, the buck wasnt as big as his, but it was a nice one, but same result.

My second lesson learned is to never let your guard down. There are nights when i just know im going to see deer, and then there are others when i dont think its going to happen cause all the conditions are wrong, but then here he comes. Like we all know, you cant shoot them if your not out there.
Old 06-15-2006, 08:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Last year I blew a shot opportunity on a huge 9 point. I was in a doghouse popup blind. As I was drawing, the tip of my arrow brushed the inside of the blind and made a loud scratching sound. All I saw was antlers bouncing away. I wanted to vomit. Biggest deer I've ever seen.

Happily my dad got him during shotgun season but I still have nightmares. If I had just practiced drawing my bow from that blind I could have prevented that blunder.
Old 06-15-2006, 08:41 AM

when I was young I went on hunt to ILL and forgot to check the MOON.

always check the MOON,
Old 06-15-2006, 10:57 AM

Deer move any time of the day so hunt all day long if you can. Shoot fingers! You can't leave them behind and miss that chance at a big buck.
Old 06-15-2006, 10:58 AM

Listen and learn. But if you're here reading this, you already know that.
Old 06-15-2006, 12:03 PM
Dominant Buck

The best lesson learned, The Wind is my Shepard. I shall always keep it in front of me.
Old 06-15-2006, 02:07 PM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: mobowhuntr

MY BOW WAS STILL ON THE GROUND!!!![:@]

The lesson I took from that.......after I am tied into the tree....the very next thing I do, before I take off my backpack, anything.......haul that bow up and hang it! THAT won't happen again......
That is exactly the first two steps in my " ascending my treestand ritual" I also learned that the hard way.
Old 06-15-2006, 02:10 PM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: huntndad

Last season I pulled a drag into the area by my stand . It had doe in heat lure on it. Had a 12 PT. come in like on the hunting shows.Got my bow ready the buck gave me a broadside shot at 10-12 yd. Started to pull back and my release slipped/tripped and there I sat holding my bow in one hand and the release inthe other. Next day I bought a TRU Ball Copperhead to replace the Kmart end of season special. Moral of story ,buy a good quilty release don't skimp. A $5.00 release cost me a big buck the Copperhead cost $60.00 wish now I had spent that money right off the bat.
Leason learned.... Don't cheap out on any equiptment or necessities related to one of your passions.
Old 06-15-2006, 02:14 PM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: ducsauce

This past season I had a real nice buck come in w/ a doe. He was snort wheezing, something that I have never heard before. Cut to the chase, I had my top pin right on his boiler room but there was a small branch in the way. This guy was only 5-7 yrds from my tree too. Anyway, Im waiting for him to make 3 steps and my damn cell phone vibrates. He looked and looked and never saw me but he didn't like that sound. He jetted and I never saw him again. He was bigger than the one in my profile.

I carry my cell phone in case of an emergency which I used to never do. What I did was power my phone off but must have closed the lid too quickly and it didnt go off. So I ALWAYS made sure my phone powered down or was left in the truck after that incident.

Looking back, I could have probably pulled off a shot thru that small branch. It was a really small branch and I think I could have gotten trhu there. Oh well. Nice story to tell anyway.
I also carry a cell phone in case of an emergency. Can't you tone down the vibration to a low enough level so you can leave it on? Mine can, just wondering.

Quick Reply: Best Learned Lessons...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.