Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Contemplating New Bow

Old 06-10-2006, 07:37 AM
Spike

Default Contemplating New Bow

I am strongly thinking about a new bow. I currently use a Parker Feather Mag at a draw length of 28", 50#, Quicktune Drop away rest, aluminum arrows, and vanes. I do not anticipate increasing draw strength. My current bow is 37" long with a brace height of 7.25". I "think" I want a Parker Phoenix 34 at the same poundage. I am somewhat concerned about the decrease in length which will inccrease the severity of the string angle at full draw. I have also heard that the Phoenix is a "loud" bow by todays standards. I am not fully committed to the Phoenix and have some interest in the Diamond brand also. I want Parallel limbs, I think. In general are there any opinions out there, and I know there are, about the bowstring angle with these shorter bows, some of the bows I have considered are as short as 30" etc. I am an average shooter, I hit where I need to but I am not world class by any means, I don't consider anything outside of 30 yards to be makeable consistently so I don't take the shots, I do however practice back as far as 40-45 yards. Thanks in advance for the ideas, comments and advice.
Old 06-10-2006, 07:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Contemplating New Bow

My advice go around to several differentproshops and test out several different brands. You might just surpriseyourslef and come home with another bow altogether. For what its worth the best three top of the line bows on the market today IMOare. Bowtech Tribute, Hoyt Trykon, Mathews Switchback XT. If at nothing else you need to shoot these bows to give you a standard for a measurement for all others. I own the Switchback XT and love it, its smooth, quiet and dead inmy hand.
Old 06-10-2006, 08:06 AM

For starters where are you thinking of buying these bows? over the internet, at a large chain store (cabela's/basspro) or from a decent proshop? I would suggest a pro shop since they can probably answer many of your questions, make sure the new bow fits you and let you try it out.

Don't just assume that because you have a 28 inch draw the new bow will be 28 inches. Especially when changing ATA lengths. Different bows fit you differently. I have three bows and they all have slightly different measured draw lengths. And that doesn't even take into account the advertised draw lengths.

Parkers used to be known for being a bit long on draw length, I don't know if that is the case any more. What I mean by that is the cam or bow will say you have a 28 inch draw length, but if you actually measure your AMO draw length it will be closer to 29 inches. This helps them with their IBO numbers, I call it fudging the numbers. It is pretty common though, not just something Parker does, so no slam on them. You should just always check your actual draw length, don't go by what the cam says.

As far string angle goes, if you shoot a release it is not a huge deal. If you shoot a string loop better yet. And 34 inches is not that short really by todays standards. Depedning on how you anchor you may need to change some things if you go really short. Like if you like to touch the string to your nose when you shoot you may have move your draw higher up on the side of your face. Or even draw a tadd more length if you can get away with it. You can make up for this by either shooting off the string if you use a loop, or getting a release with a smaller head, or shortening the release you have. Most have them too long any way.

As far as the phoenix being loud? I haven't seen a modern bow made that can't be tamed with string silencers and limb savers. One of my bows is a darton, and those are not too quiet either. However with puff ball string silencers and limb savers it is one of the quietest bows around. I have shot the Phoenix Easy Draw bow and I really liked it, I suggest you look at that one as well.

I would personally suggest the Diamond or bowtech line myself. I own a 2004 mighty might by bowtech with a 30 inch ATA and I don't find it hard to shoot. I only have a 26 inch draw length though and am 5'3" tall. In the daimond line I would look at the Justice, which is the same bow I have but with a smoother cam (draws nicer than the Infinity cam I have) or the Victory.

Something to keep in mind with the new short ATA bows with the parellel limbs is they have longer risers. This makes them handle very much like a longer ATA bow since they still have some weight towards the ends. I would personally have a 34 inch bow with a longer riser than a 37 inch bow with a shorter riser and long limbs. I just think it feels better and it might have more mass weight as well.

I say shoot the Parker 34 inch bow, and the Easy Draw one as well to see how you like it. Then shoot the Justice and Victory by daimond. Shoot some bowtechs as well. And I wouldn't rule out the Reflex line from Hoyt either. Some very nice bows to be had at a good price from that line up. Had I not got my Mighty Might I would have gotten a Hoyt Ultra Sport, which is now in the Reflex line up I think. I don't remember what name it's under though.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Paul
Old 06-10-2006, 10:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

try a browning f5 its 32" ata, i like shorter ata bows because they are great treestand bows and are easier to manuever and handle in the woods.they also tend to be lighter.If u are shooting fingers i wouldnt get this bow but with a release and a string loop the angle doesnt matter
Old 06-10-2006, 11:40 AM

Definitely if you are a finger shooter don't get a bow shorter than 39 inches axle to axle. I did once and I couldn't shoot it with fingers; I had to use a release.
Old 06-11-2006, 07:18 AM

[quote]Definitely if you are a finger shooter don't get a bow shorter than 39 inches axle to axle. I did once and I couldn't shoot it with fingers; I had to use a release.

I too was told not to by a bow with a short axle to axle length if I were to shoot fingers but they were wrong. I shoot a PSE Firestorm with a 30" axle to axle and I shoot fingers and don't have a bit of trouble. People had told me with such a short bow that I would pinch my fingers, I put the "no-gloves" on my string and it eliminated and finger pinching.
Old 06-11-2006, 10:27 AM
Spike

Thanks for all the info. I agree and like the idea of shoting all the bows I might be interested in but sometimes that is hard. I only draw 50#, that's where I am the most comfortable and that is where I'll stay. Most of the bows folks have avail around here are starting at 60# and though I can draw it, it is very uncomfortable and so not indicitve of what the bow will do for me. Can you belive it??!! I live in Norfolk, VA and I can't find a desent bow shop. We have a Bass Pro but they don't have the bows I like in a pondage I can shoot. Can't believe I am going to have to take a trip up to PA and go to some of the shops up there, however there is a plus to that.....Trout fishing on the fly on the Central PA Limestoners!!!!!
Old 06-12-2006, 05:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

that stinks, the bow i have i bought it before even shooting others and i ended up getting lucky with it,I am very pleased with it.Although i did shoot some bows will it was being processed and shipped (it took 2 months to get it because the first one they sent had a busted limb,good ole' cabelas) and i still liked the one i bought after shooting others in the same price range