Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

rookie bowhunter needs tips

Old 06-08-2006, 06:28 PM

Default rookie bowhunter needs tips

hey all i just my first bow a Reflex Highlander. I wanted to hear all the tips and tricks that you all have for a new bow hunter. Let me know what tips you all havefor good form and gear and all that stuff.
Thanks for the help!

Old 06-08-2006, 07:14 PM

Default RE: rookie bowhunter needs tips

Tips and tricks??? Well..........be the consimate student. Never be afraid to learn more. Hang around your pro shop and talk to the guys there. Read everything you can get your hands on. Spend time on here, welcome to the forums by the way, and research the net. Practice, practice, practice, practice, and practice some more. Be patient. Don't get mad at yourself. Practice some more. Read some more. Practice some more. You get the idea.

ButchA just bought a Highlander as well. I think he's more in love w/ that thing than his wife!! And that's saying a lot. I'm also pretty sure he sleeps w/ his bow, but I can't be certain.
Old 06-08-2006, 07:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: mobowhuntr
ButchA just bought a Highlander as well. I think he's more in love w/ that thing than his wife!! And that's saying a lot. I'm also pretty sure he sleeps w/ his bow, but I can't be certain.
LOL!!!!

I love my Reflex Highlander.... It is the most amazing, well made bow, for the money I spent!

Take your Reflex Highlander and start shooting at 10 yards. Keep shooting it at 10 yards. Stay with this range for a few weeks while you get yourself in sync with the bow.

When you are comfortable with 10 yards, move out to 20 yards. Again, stay with 20 yards and shoot, shoot, shoot, and shoot some more arrows at that range.

What sights do you have on your Highlander? As you see in the picture of mine (yeah, I know.... it's all backwards - I'm a lefty! ) I have the Vital Bow Gear Camelback pendulum sight on mine. One single pin set at 20 yards and covers all the ranges from 5 yards to out to around 30 yards.

What is your Highlander's setup?

Butch A.

P.S. Welcome to HNI and the bowhunting forums... These guys on here have a wealth of knowledge and experience.

Old 06-08-2006, 08:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you want to learn, from someone who lives near you, give rybohunter a PM message. You will learn alot of bowhunting tips from him. He's got alot of bow kills under his hat, and is a super tracker.
Old 06-09-2006, 03:21 PM

Hey all thanks for the warm welcome and the good advice. I plan on practicing as much as possible!
My bow is set up is 65 lb draw back, 29 draw length. I am not sure of the sights I forgot to ask what kind they are. It is a 3 pin sight.
I was wondering about the one pin sights because I am not shooting with my dominant eye.That is why I was thinking one pin sights might be better for me to shoot with. I am left eye dominant, but I am try to shoot with my right eye. The guy at the shop said that if I can not adjust with my right eye. I might need to switch and shoot left handed.
Any thoughts on this?
Old 06-09-2006, 05:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

Wow.... Your Reflex Highlander is identical to mine (but they cranked it up to 68#). If you are absolutely positively left eye dominant, then by shooting righty, you are cross-shooting (I think that's the term for it). It is very difficult to train your right eye to overcome the power of the left eye.

For me, I can't hit the broadside of a barn righty... No matter what it is, archery, rifles, handguns, even shooting skeet with a shotgun. I'm one of those "weird" guys where I just HAVE to be lefty - ain't no way around it.

Too bad your in Pittsburgh and I'm down here in Richmond, VA. I'd like to let you try out my left handed Highlander compared to your right handed one and see what you think. It's all based on feel. One way will feel incredibly better than the other. Look at me with the sport of golf. Remember where I said I'm lefty? But with golf, I play righty. I couldn't even imagine trying to swing a golf club left handed... [&:]

Anyway, what I would do is go back to the bow shop and ask to try a lefty model and see how that feels to your right handed model. I have a funny feeling that the lefty model might feel a little better because your natural left eye dominance will be able to relax and focus clearly on the target without interference from your right eye.

Good luck and enjoy your Highlander!!!! [8D]

Old 06-10-2006, 09:30 AM

Well, they say that to be as good as you can, you MUST shoot in conjunction w/ eye dominance. If you are left eye dominant, you must learn to shoot left handed. Yeah, ok......whatever. Another trick you can try it to put a patch over your left eye. You either have to go w/ the flow and take advantage of your eye dominance, or take it out of the equation completley.
Old 06-10-2006, 07:19 PM

Default RE: rookie needs shooting form technique

hey well today was my first day of practice. I loosed about 2 dozen arrows from about 15 yards. I for the main part hit what i was aiming for. I was more worried about form though. Question though how should my feet be? both pointing towards the target? Any thoughts on this question would be great! Thanks!
Old 06-10-2006, 07:36 PM

Default RE: rookie needs shooting form technique

Feet should be pointing 90 degrees to the target, not facing it. As should your body. Turn your head about 80 degrees and pick up the target. Stare at the center of the target, draw, and release. Well, that's the simplified version. Oh, your stance. Feet shoulder width apart, if you find that you are hitting your bow arm w/ the string, try taking your back foot and moving it away from your body a few inches, creating an open stance.
Old 06-10-2006, 07:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Since you said bowhunter, I'm going to throw this in. Buy yourself a 3d target of the animal you intend to hunt. I missed several deer when I first started because all I had ever shot at was "spot" or "bullseye" targets. Now, most of my practice is on 3d targets.

Quick Reply: rookie bowhunter needs tips

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.