Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Spooking deer

Old 06-07-2006, 06:45 PM
Site Buck Guru

Default RE: Spooking deer

I never spook deer if I can help it. I don't want the deer to ever know I was there. That way I can hunt a stand multiple times without burning it out. I have hunted the same stand as many as three times in a row with good results, as long as they didn't know I was there.
Old 06-07-2006, 06:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Spooking deer

Great advise from everyone here.
Another thing that I would like to share is the buddy system.
If I am hunting a spot where I know the deer will enter just before dark and no shot presents itself,then my game plan is to wait it out for half hour past dark and wait for my bud to come down the trail to meet me.This has proven itself over the years as the deer are concentrating on his noise and movements and no attention is on me.This way I know the deer will not be educated on my where a bouts and blow my next chance in the stand.This of course is saying I do my part by leaving as little scent as possible in the area.I will also not hunt the same stand 2 days in a row.

If you are hunting a field edge and deer enter the field offering no shot,wait it out till dark and have your buddy meet you half way in the field with the 4 wheeler.Deer will spook with the noise of a quad but will soon re-enter the field after you leave.

Now on the other hand,if I am hunting alone which is more often then not,then I make sure I have a good exit route like shed suggested.I will hunt those areas where I can surprise them before entering their bedding area or field,etc.
If caught in a spot where deer are around you and you dont want to spook the deer,maybe ruining this spot for the future by educating the deer,then just wait it out,deer will usually lay down for half hour,hour tops,NORMALLY and continue on their merry way.