Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Climber apprehension

Old 06-06-2006, 12:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Climber apprehension

Greetings! I have been mulling over treestand choices for some time now. Up in the U.P. we usually used ladders but now that I am in Illinois with some different tree types, I would like to be a little more mobile. Obviously, a climber is the way to go for this. What I want to know is...how hard is it to get up a tree with one of these? I'm a big dude so I was looking at the Summit Goliath SS for my climber (potentially). Can anyone provide some insight on these things. I'ma little nervous about the whole thing asI have never used one before and really don't know what to expect. Any input is greatly appreciated.
Old 06-06-2006, 12:34 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Climber apprehension

Summit is the way to go, in my opinion. I have a Viper. They are designed great and it seems as though they've looked at every angle. Their method of cable adjustment, I think, is the best in the business. Getting up the tree is no biggie at all. It seems to be getting down that I find a little annoying at times, depending on the tree, with Summit's cable system. On certain types of bark, the cable can easily get stuck on the bark and make it very difficult for the cable to come down with you on your descent, causing you to have to shake the portion of the stand that's caught (usually the bottom as the top can easily be manipulated by hand) and do all kinds of things to dislodge it to continue down. Now, yes, there are stands with more solid forms of attachment to the back of the tree, but in my limited experiences with them, there have been drawbacks to their other features which I don't think I would sacrifice. My friend has anOl' Man and it seems very nice and works great. I've hunted out of it on numerous ocassions, but the one thing I couldn't handle was the method of backpacking. The collapsible arms just seemed a pain to me as they had to be folded up just right. To any veteran Ol' Man owner,I'm sure it's not a problem, but to someone who wasn't familiarwith them it definitely was.Another huge thing to look at, for me anyway, is weight of the stand. These things may seem light in the magazines at their listed weights, but haul them around the woods for awhile looking for a good stand site and you'll be glad to have one of the lighter ones. I believe Loggy Bayou makes some incredibly light stands, but I don't think I liked the looks of their design and features when I checked them out if I can remember correctly. Do some serious research before you buy and ask around. It's more picking the right stand than worrying about how to use it. Hope I've helped somehow...
Old 06-06-2006, 12:43 PM
Typical Buck

As a climber newbie I would suggest you seriously consider the Summit stands. While they are certainly not the lightest of the bunch they are probably one of the most secure platforms out there once you are in the tree. Climbing up and down is a snap. I have never felt apprehensive when using my Summit.

After you get some time in the stand under your belt, you will be in a better position to evaluate stands based on their weight, ease of use, etc...
My Summit Viper was the first stand I bought and have never regretted my decision for a second. It is fairly heavy (especially with your pack strapped to it) however you can't put a price on that confidence level going up and down the tree.
Old 06-06-2006, 01:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

No matter what stand you choose, the climbing stands are a really good to to have. Once you do it a few times you will feel at ease. use all safety equipment and go at a slow pace. I say that because you can sure work up a sweat using one. Good luck.
Old 06-06-2006, 01:35 PM
Dominant Buck

I prefer my one piece loggy. There is something about hugging the tree and shimming up it that makes me feel way more comfortable. I've never liked the two piece thing. On the other hand, you may have a problem if your too big to shimmy and only be able to go with a two piece set up. Good luck.
Old 06-06-2006, 01:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

you may have a problem if your too big to shimmy
You would have to put some good music on to get this big sum buck up a tree.... Ive never seen a Red Wood Tree Shimmy... This otta be good[8D]
Caleb and I are enjoying this one Mike....
P.S We will be carrying Loggy Stands at the Shop.

Old 06-06-2006, 06:36 PM

Like the others have said, SUMMIT is the way to go. I bought the Razor only because I wanted one where the front bar can be folded underneath the seat. I think that is better than a fixed bar. You don;t have to worry about falling. Those teeth grip pretty good. Don't foget to wear a safety harness b/c thats a long drop.
Old 06-06-2006, 07:27 PM

Summit Viper X5 I have. Very, Very easy to use, but it does take a little practice. Climbing is not a problem at all.
Old 06-06-2006, 07:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Being a big dude the summit golith is a good choice and always ,always wear a fall harness
Old 06-06-2006, 07:46 PM
Banned

I have a Summit Viper and it is very noisey running the cables into the stand to set up. Once it is set up I don't think there is a more comfortable all day stand on the market. The Equalizer is a quiet stand; but I think the quietest and lightest weight is the Lone Wolf..I have never sat all day in one but they are the quietest to set up.

Quick Reply: Climber apprehension

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.