Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Shoot 'em or Let 'em go?

Old 06-06-2006, 07:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Shoot 'em or Let 'em go?

What no one seems to be catching in this discussion is that he's already decided that letting them go is what he wants to do.

...and pass up a lot of smaller deer. I'd like to think I am letting them grow up to be something bigger...but this may not be the case. .........I know I am going to keep on passing them up. "
I think he wants to know if he's being a fool to pass them if someone else is going to shoot them. Again, I say shooting a deer just to prevent someone else from shooting them is petty and small. Don't be so selfish that you have to horde every deer just so someone else doesn't get it. It doesn't sound like you're thinking this way but you're beginning to have your doubts. You're doing the right thing. I don't mean that because of QDM but because you obviously don't want to shoot a deer of that caliber so you let it pass and hope it gets bigger. This is a fine quality and a characteristic of a SPORTSMAN. When I go fishing I release the fish I don't want allowing them to grow and be enjoyed by myself and other fishermen for days to come. I don't flip them on the bank just to make sure the next fisherman doesn't catch it. Don't let greed dictate your actions. Keep to the higher path.
Old 06-06-2006, 07:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

That's agreat point. You have to define a trophy for yourself. I haven't caught a big enough bass yet. I don't eat them. But legal walleyes go in the pan! Unless you want or need the meat let the young bucks pass.
Old 06-06-2006, 08:56 AM

ORIGINAL: mobowhuntr

QDM?? AHHHH PHOOEY!! I couldn't care less!! Missouri's deer heard is the most abundant and healthy it's ever been, and we've only started QDM here a year ago. If you really want to know what I think, I'll tell you. Now, for those of you that manage your farms for big bucks, this doesn't apply to you at all. You want to manage for monsters for your own taking, by all means, have at it.

But big bucks = big bucks, if you catch my drift. There is HUGE money in big racks right now, and the states know it, don't kid yourself. Out of state deer tags cost a heck of a lot more than resident, so to attract out of state dollars you need a reason. That reason is big bucks. States like Illinois, Ohio and Iowa are just a few that have learned that.

Dude, if you want to shoot that little basket rack 1 1/2 year old deer w/ your bow, by golly, let 'er fly!! You are exactly right, if you don't, and it's a legal deer.....someone else will. Period. It's a sad fact of life, but it's a dog eat dog world out there, and this game of bowhunting is hard enough as it is. As we mature as hunters our standards will most certainly change, but if at this point in your career you don't care.......Let him hold it, if he can!! Good luck!
Missouri's herd was awesome because of habitat and lack of pressure....HOWEVER, in recent years the wise folks w/Missouri DNR have placed gun season smack dab in the middle of the rut resulting in "record" harvests year after year until folks started complaining about fewer mature buck sightings. So now they have implemented the AR's to try and still keep the overall population down but to save the baby bucks from getting blasted by the weekend warrior gunners who shoot anything in sight.

Old 06-06-2006, 09:00 AM

ORIGINAL: BowBuilder

Ok guys question for you all. Shoot it, or let it go? Here is my delima: I hunt mostly public land...and pass up a lot of smaller deer. I'd like to think I am letting them grow up to be something bigger...but this may not be the case.My brother thinks I am nuts, and that I should not pass any deer up. He says its public land, and if you don't shot it, the next guy will. Plus...the hunting clubs run dogs for deer in my area [:@]and usually end up shooting most of what I pass up during bow season...from buttons, to spikes, to 6 -pointers on up. [:@][:@]So maybe he has a point...

I know I am going to keep on passing them up. (I do shoot one for meat..a doe preferably, but does are getting scarce in my area...if the big one is a no show.) Just wanted some input...
You keep passing them up and stand up for what is right and for what you believe in. You are among the few that have the foresight and vision for sound deer hunting practices.
Old 06-06-2006, 01:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

My take is this...who cares if the deer you pass, makes it to be a 5 1/2 year old monster or gets shot 50yds down the trail, that is irrelevent. What is important is that when you are passing these small bucks are you confident there is a larger buck currently in the area? If you think a big one could stroll by then wait if you want. They can't kill em all, one or 2 is almost bound to get thru each year. If shooting the little one makes you happy, shoot it. Just don't shoot the little one, then be ashamed of it. It all boils down to knowing what's in your area. Holding out for a 150, when no bucks reaching 130 have ever lived there is going to be pointless.