Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Shoot 'em or Let 'em go?

Old 06-05-2006, 08:54 AM

Default RE: Shoot 'em or Let 'em go?

I'm no QDM junky, but I will agree that in the right environment it could be a definite boon.

But if you shoot a small buck, it has 0% chance of maturing.
If you let it walk, it actually stands a much better chance of surviving "dog" season than you think.

Hunting with hounds reportedly has an even lower success rate than bowhunting does.

Here's another thought too: If you're going to let a deer walk to try and let it mature, why not educate it a little bit to increase its chances? Get its attention, make it look up at you and then throw a rock or something near it? Let it know that it is being hunted! Not that I would do that, but if you're so concerned about "letting them grow" why not help them do it?
Old 06-05-2006, 09:55 AM
Typical Buck

Good post...don't settle and wait for what you want. Go home at the end of the day and be proud that you did what you feel is right even if you didn't bring meat home. If you keep letting the little ones walk your chances will increase every year of getting a mature buck even with the other circumstances.
Old 06-05-2006, 07:51 PM

QDM?? AHHHH PHOOEY!! I couldn't care less!! Missouri's deer heard is the most abundant and healthy it's ever been, and we've only started QDM here a year ago. If you really want to know what I think, I'll tell you. Now, for those of you that manage your farms for big bucks, this doesn't apply to you at all. You want to manage for monsters for your own taking, by all means, have at it.

But big bucks = big bucks, if you catch my drift. There is HUGE money in big racks right now, and the states know it, don't kid yourself. Out of state deer tags cost a heck of a lot more than resident, so to attract out of state dollars you need a reason. That reason is big bucks. States like Illinois, Ohio and Iowa are just a few that have learned that.

Dude, if you want to shoot that little basket rack 1 1/2 year old deer w/ your bow, by golly, let 'er fly!! You are exactly right, if you don't, and it's a legal deer.....someone else will. Period. It's a sad fact of life, but it's a dog eat dog world out there, and this game of bowhunting is hard enough as it is. As we mature as hunters our standards will most certainly change, but if at this point in your career you don't care.......Let him hold it, if he can!! Good luck!
Old 06-05-2006, 08:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

TJF, gives good advice.
Old 06-05-2006, 08:14 PM
Typical Buck

I fully agree with MO here....QDM is a big time double edged sword. Kansas, Iowa, Illinois, Buffalo Cnty WI and numerous other places have fallen to it. Would I love to hunt in other states where I might have a better shot at a biggin over what I have here at home? Your dang skippy I would! Can I afford to hunt those places because they all now have horn fever? NOPE. Their deer hunting isn't THAT much better than it used to be...people just know about it now.
Old 06-05-2006, 08:22 PM
Banned

Shoot what works for you...I have reached this stage in my life that I won't shoot a buck unless it is 170 or bigger...I shoot plenty of does a year..so it isn't that important...It is all in what YOU want..only you know what will satisfy you
Old 06-05-2006, 08:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

This is something completely up to you.

I can show you the same buck as a yearling and at 2 1/2. Now picture him next year at 3 1/2. He will be a slammer next year for sure.... To me it is a no decision. I let them go...

Old 06-05-2006, 09:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Trembow

Here's another thought too: If you're going to let a deer walk to try and let it mature, why not educate it a little bit to increase its chances? Get its attention, make it look up at you and then throw a rock or something near it? Let it know that it is being hunted! Not that I would do that, but if you're so concerned about "letting them grow" why not help them do it?
good idea

i agree with the double edged sword comment. Iowa would be hell for just small-have a good time hunters like me if the state, say, didn't allow shooting yearling bucks. Although I pass small bucks for personal reasons to each his own. Demand would be through the roof (if it already isnt) Enough big ones get through the way it is I think
Old 06-06-2006, 05:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

Depends on if he blows rasberries at me. A sure way to get shafted.

Guys will wait if they know something bigger is there. They know something bigger is there with the use a cameras. I don't care too know that much. Shooting a smaller buck to have a larger one walk by is part of the fun for me and gives me a future and a great story. All deer are meaningful to me and only a few have any significant meaning over and above the others (big $ ).

As far as QDM, pedators don't distinguish, they take the weak and the stupid first and the stong survive. That produces a stong herd. QDM seems oppisite of that and I believe is what has lead to things like cwd andthe spead of it. I'm thankful there are guys who will take those that others will pass on. I believe they are doing those who will wait a favor.
Old 06-06-2006, 05:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

In Illinois anything with a 3" spike counts as a buck, doesn't sound like QDM to me? If you're looking for meat or sausages,have at it. If you're holding out for a trophy, then it's your decision. Yeah enough big ones do get by, game cams are proof of that!

Quick Reply: Shoot 'em or Let 'em go?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.