Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

string vibration question

Old 05-30-2006, 08:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default string vibration question

I recently had a Qad Ultra Rest put on my 04 Hoy Vipertec and when I shoot I get alot of noise coming from the string. The noise is almost like ifI was to pluck the string. There is alot of vibration when I do pluck it even though I have Sims String Leeches on it. I have tried them in different postions and found them to work the best about an inch from the serving by the cams.

I also installed a speed nockto align the peep sight because i do not use string loops. On the bottom of the arrowI use a cusion nock.

What is string slap??

Thanks for any help the noise is driving me nuts!!![:@]

My set up is listed below.
Old 05-30-2006, 01:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: string vibration question

I've heard alot of good things about the STS system. It's supposed to really quiet down your bow without affecting speed. I've never used it myself but I mighttry one.

http://www.stsarchery.com/
Old 05-30-2006, 02:58 PM

Sounds like it's an accessory making the noise, check everything and look at what you have a since the noise started, take those off and try a procees of elimination to see if you can find out what it is. good luck.
Old 05-30-2006, 03:29 PM

slap an STS on your bow and you will be amazed at the quietness factor it creates. you will be wondering why you havent shot with one sooner.
Old 05-30-2006, 04:16 PM

Did it make this noise before you installed the new rest? If not, I would check everything over. Make sure it's all tight. Also, how old is your string? If it's old and dry, it's going to make more noise. Replace it.

I guess what I'm saying is this. If the bow WAS quiet, and now it isn't, don't just slap something on there designed to quiet it down. Something is wrong somewhere, find it and fix it.
Old 05-30-2006, 04:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mobowhuntr

Did it make this noise before you installed the new rest? If not, I would check everything over. Make sure it's all tight. Also, how old is your string? If it's old and dry, it's going to make more noise. Replace it.

I guess what I'm saying is this. If the bow WAS quiet, and now it isn't, don't just slap something on there designed to quiet it down. Something is wrong somewhere, find it and fix it.
No it didn't make the noise before the rest. But I haven't shot it since last year. I bought the bow used and have had it 1 year and I dout it has ever had the string replaced.
Old 05-30-2006, 05:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Have a pro shop check it out for you. Make sure all is tight and the string is waxed!
Old 06-02-2006, 08:21 PM
Fork Horn

Exactly what Andy said, make sure the string is waxed real well!!! I had the same problem with a new bow and tried everything but wax and as soon as I waxed the strings and cables, whala, nothing but dead quiet. A dry string will vibrate like heck. I also added the STS afterwards and put on cat whiskers instead of the bowjax that come on the string. Cat whiskers work better than anything I have tried to date and now the bow is the quietest I have ever owned and put up against some of the leading bows out there a better shooter in my eyes. Oh, by the way, it is a Pearson Stealth!!!
Old 06-03-2006, 01:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks.

I waxed the strings and it seems a little quieter. I have Sims string leeches on it but I thing they are part of the problem. I am going to get brand new ones or switch to a different kind.