Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

sight adjustment from field pt to broadhead question?

Old 05-24-2006, 05:05 PM
Fork Horn

Default sight adjustment from field pt to broadhead question?

I just shot broadheads from my fairly new rig ('05 outback, 29" 70lb, trophy taker drop away, impact archery 3 pin collector, GT XT hunters 5575 muzzy 3 blade 100 gr). I had the field tips dialed in pretty good...The broadheads weren't much worse at all. I could compensate without physically moving the sight.

My question is- do most of you readjust the sights for when you shoot broadheads? Or do you only do it if the difference between field tips and broadheads is substantial?

I'm still learning...thanks for any and all help

saltflyz
Old 05-24-2006, 05:12 PM

Default RE: sight adjustment from field pt to broadhead question?

Sight it in for the broadheads.. When it comes time to shoot an animal you don't want to have to rember to compensate...
Old 05-24-2006, 06:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I usually shoot and sight in for my field points, then the week or so before opening day I shoot my broadheads. The grouping between the two is usually barely noticible. So for that reason I do not change my sights, besides I dont want to start screwing with my sights that close before opening day unless it is absolutely nessesary. Make sure too that your field tips and broadheads are the same weight in grains.
Old 05-24-2006, 06:37 PM
Fork Horn

No need to change my sights since I usually get my broadheads to group in the same spot as my field points. This is not always possible for a beginner without spending serious time at the pro shop so since your field points and broadheads are grouping so close Id keep the setup the same and repapertune a week or two before season then see how they fly and if their still slightly off then move your sights to sight in the broadheads never try to compensatebecause it will be a nightmare for you if you forget to compensate and you very easily could do so in the heat of the moment. Hope this helps.

Jason
Old 05-24-2006, 06:58 PM
Banned

ORIGINAL: Zdeerslayer

I usually shoot and sight in for my field points, then the week or so before opening day I shoot my broadheads. The grouping between the two is usually barely noticible. So for that reason I do not change my sights, besides I dont want to start screwing with my sights that close before opening day unless it is absolutely nessesary. Make sure too that your field tips and broadheads are the same weight in grains.
Me too
Old 05-25-2006, 06:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

I always sight in my broadheads, I just can't get the broadheads to hit in the same spot on the target. My fieldpoints will group on target and my broadheads will group 6" high left. My friend and I have tried everything.
Old 05-25-2006, 06:30 AM
Fork Horn

If they are close, than you probably just need a slight tweak to your rest to get them to be dead on. Basically you move your rest in very small increments toward your field point group (ie. if your fp's are hitting left of your bh's, then move your rest to the left). It shouldn't take much to get them to hit together. Both groups will move on you, but the broadhead group should move MORE than the fieldpoint group and overlap at some point. Then you resight in and you never have to worry about changing your sight for broadheads again! Mark where your rest is now so you can always go back to it if you have to.

If this doesn't work, I would just sight in for broadheads a couple of weeks before hunting season.

Good luck!! ... Shockwave
Old 05-25-2006, 06:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

My fieldpoints shoot 5 yards "shorter" than my broadheads. That is my fieldpoints are good at 25 and my broadheads at 30. Works all the way out to 60 yards so I just know that my pins are 25, 35, 45, 55 for fieldpoints and 30, 40, 50, 60 for broadheads. Works like a charm for me. I don't think it is tuning related because my dad shoots the exact same set up and has the exact same results.
Old 05-25-2006, 07:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would sight in my broadheads, too. When the time comes to shoot, compensating might be something you forget to do!
Old 05-25-2006, 07:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you are this close with the impact on both your field tips and broad heads, you are also very close to having a tuned bow. Take the time to fine tune, not only will you be able to shoot field tips and broad heads using the same sight setting, but you will also pick up a little speed and reduce noise and vibration.

Quick Reply: sight adjustment from field pt to broadhead question?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.