Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

overhunting?

Old 05-25-2006, 03:27 PM

Default RE: overhunting?

yes i will be hunting "any deer" simply because i dont have much to choose from. the closest that i would be to a bedding area would probably be about 150-200 yards. but i can get to about 500 yards away as well but i am working in a very small part of woods.
Old 05-25-2006, 06:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

As a rule it is a bad idea to hunt a stand back to back, that being said in depends much on the stand and how you hunt it. If you are painstakingly scent free and hunt only with relatively 'safe' wind directions, and probably more importantly, if your entry/exit is TOTALLY safe from detection you can get away with it. Otherwise you just end up spooking animals. I have one stand like that, the only way in I use is to scale a steep 100 yard high bluff, I have hunted it several days in a row wind permiting and seen lots of deer all season long...but that is the only stand out of a dozen I would do that with.
Old 05-25-2006, 06:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

Another thing I thought of is whether you expect deer to come from mostly 1 direction or if they can come from any direction. I think stands where the deer typically come from one direction can be burned out quicker if the wind is wrong or there is no good way in and out. If it's a stand where they can show up from anywhere then your chances go up despite hunting multiple times.

If you can get in and out without spooking deer, you should be fine. The tricky part will be whether it's a small woodlot that they visit occasionally, compared to a small place where they always are. Leave as little scent as possible going in and out and hope you can do so without bumping them and you should be alright. BUT it wouldn't hurt to have some other spots picked out as well to rotate.
Old 05-26-2006, 05:17 AM
Typical Buck

I have a slightly different take on this one!

If a stand is a hot location and you have the right wind and you have a stealthy way to get to it, then hunt it to death if you want to. I did exactly this in a hot travel corridor last year and saw deer including 5 different bucks in the 100-120 range and one 130+( I saw them multiple times), all between mid-October and November 20. I only hunted in the AM and took several different paths to the stand and watched the wind carefully. I never got busted and only once did adoe pick up my trail into the woods and that was the only time I hunted it in the PM. And she became deer sausage!

BTW, the 130+(my estimate)I did not shoot because he was a 7 pointer. I'm hoping he'll be back this year along with the 4 other nicer bucks.
Old 05-26-2006, 06:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a small spot in suburban Chicagoon unincorporated 6ac. My neighbors property and house etc. Small 1ac woodlot adjacent to @65 acre weedfield with some wetlandsand a school. It's a travel corridor. With the right wind I can hunt it all the time. getting in and out is no problem. I park in his driveway and walk to my tree. There's piople /kids around al the time deer are conditioned to it. Took the 9-pointer you se on the left from that stand
Old 05-27-2006, 07:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

Nice deer Dr Andy!

Some of the lands I hunt are like yours. Can't stand all the noise. Had a dog that barked last year for almost the entire time on stand one day. On another to brothers keeped going at it and then the dad joined in. I could here the kid scream after his brother drilled him with his toy bow and then the dad jump in and yell at him to stop. The little one would scream and stop, scream and stop.. I said to myself if he screams one more time I'm moving even though there was little time left. He did and I did, all the way to the back of the small lot. It was so nice and peacfull and his screams were distant. I even had to go back down and retie my bow back on before settleing in. 45 min. later I drill what turned out to be a contest winning doe. 35 bucks worth.There's deer there but the price to get them is never mentioned is it.
Old 05-27-2006, 08:17 AM
emo

Deer Nodog, The only screaming we have here in Pike Co. are jets screaming overhead. www.lazyshuntclub.org
Old 05-27-2006, 09:13 AM
Dominant Buck

Much like plotting the perfect murder ,the answer is wholly dependant upon how many clues you leave behind .

As long asthe next deer to come along gets no indication of danger you could theoretically hunt the same small patch all the time without "burning it out" , vis a vis a permanent ground blind ,ladder/tower stylestand , or even a well concealed climber spot. It's how well we understand the quarry that makes the biggest difference .
Old 05-27-2006, 02:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

Jets would be misrable.

Pike Co.!

Poor baby!
Old 05-27-2006, 07:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

A week before I got that one I had a small 4-point coming in all he had to do was turnto his right and take a step. Right then the neighbors teenager(my god-daughter) drove up the drveway. I told her later she saved a deers life that day! Yeah car noise all the time !