Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
I am right handed, and shoot right helical
44.19%
I am right handed, and shoot left helical
6.98%
I am right handed, and shoot right offset
30.23%
I am right handed, and shoot left offset
4.65%
I am right handed, and shoot straight (no helical/offset)
6.98%
I am left handed, and shoot right helical
0%
I am left handed, and shoot left helical
0%
I am left handed, and shoot right offset
6.98%
I am left handed, and shoot left offset
0%
I am left handed, and shoot straight (no helical/offset)
0%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

What kinda helical/offset do you guys prefer?

Old 05-20-2006, 08:45 AM

Default What kinda helical/offset do you guys prefer?

After having asemi-heated discussion with a friend, I decided I will send it to the polls to see what everyone does? I think it will interesting to see the breakdown by right/left handed.

What kind of helical do you shoot?
Old 05-20-2006, 08:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What kinda helial/offset do you guys prefer?

I am a lefty and shoot a right offset, its about a2 degree offset with the quickspins.
Old 05-20-2006, 09:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

i'm right-handed and shoot a very slight right helical.
Old 05-20-2006, 09:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Depends on what I am using the arrow for. First of all I am right handed.

For my hunting arrows, I use Blazers. I put them on with a pretty good helical, and I use left helical. It doesn't really matter what direction helical you use unless you have broadheads that have blades that are on a certain offset, or if you are shooting feathers. If using vanes, and a straight or mechanical broadhead it won't matter a bit. I use left because I bought my Jo Jan 6 fletch used and that was the helical clamp set that the previous owner happened to have.

For 3D, I use a VERY tiny bit of offset, however not much. For skinny long distance field/fita arrows I use a hard offset, and the same for spots.
Old 05-20-2006, 10:27 AM
Banned

Right-Right
Old 05-20-2006, 11:39 AM

right handed and right helical
Old 05-20-2006, 01:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Im right handed, and use a left helical. No reason in particular, that just happened to be which clamp my jig has.
Old 05-20-2006, 05:30 PM

Depends which fletching I am using. I am right handed and fletch my feathers w/ right helical. Blazers are straight, w/ about a 2 degree offset.
Old 05-21-2006, 05:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

I use right wing because I've never cared much for rubber feathers and, in real feathers, rt wing is what's most available in the stores around here. If most stores here carried left wing, then I'd be shooting lefties.

The old tale that righties should use left wing and lefties should use rt wing is leftover from the old days, when bows didn't have arrow rests and folks shot right off their knuckles. Here's the real deal on it.

For right handed shooters, rt wing featherswill put that leading end of the bottom hen feather right into the meat on the shooter's hand, causing nasty feather cuts.Left wing slants the feather the opposite way on the shaft, whichmoves the leading end of thefletch over to where it won't hit the shooter's hand and can't cause feather cuts.

Naturally, the opposite is true for lefties.

For bows that have arrow rests, it doesn't make a flippin' bit of difference whether you use right or left.... unless you're superman and good enough of a shot to notice grouping effects caused by the coriolis force.[8D]
Old 05-21-2006, 09:17 AM

However they come. I'm not real picky to be honest. I prefer a slight offset, don't really care what direction. Like Arthur I also prefer feathers. You can shoot them straight fletched and still get some spin to them. Most of my arrows are a 4 degree right offset though I think.

With a drop a way I don't mind a helical. I do not like straight vanes though, not even for target shooting. They will work, but I just like some spin to my arrows, its a mental thing I think.

Paul

Quick Reply: What kinda helical/offset do you guys prefer?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.