Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Nikon Action Binoculars?

Old 05-18-2006, 03:36 PM
Typical Buck

Default Nikon Action Binoculars?

I was looking into buying the Nikon Action Ex ABT binoculars from bass pro and was wondering if anyone owns or has used them? What do u think about them? Is it worth the money? Or should i look into other bino's?
Old 05-18-2006, 04:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Nikon Action Binoculars?

Your timing is impeccable. I just had a pair of the 7x35 Action EX binoculars purchased for me as an anniversary present. Great little bins. Image quality in the center of the field of view is very good and on par with many of the roof prism model costing two to three times as much as these bins. Field of view for both the 7x35 and 8x40 is exceptionally wide at well over 400 feet for both. Brightness and color is alsovery good for a binocular in this price range. Probably the only thing that takes away from their optical appeal is the off-axis distortion. The outer 1/3rd of the image shows visible distortion but when you consider how wide the field of view is then it isn't that distracting.

Ergonomically the bins feel very solid and relatively compact when compared with some other porro prism models on the market. The 8x40s and larger are a bit bigger though. They are waterproof and nitrogen purged and the focus knob moves relatively smoothly though just a bit stiffer than perfect in my opinion.

For the price they are very good and were rated as number one in the Economical category for the most recent Cornell binocular review.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-18-2006, 07:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

PABowhntr pretty much summed up my opinion. They are great for the price. The only complaint I have with my 8x40's is that they are slightly heavy to carry around your neck all day...but other than that....I love 'em. I don't think you can beat them for the price.
Old 05-18-2006, 07:55 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks for all the info. Im going to go pick up a pair first thing next week. I will let youguys know what i thinkof them.