Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Where did the deer go?

Old 10-29-2002, 08:36 AM

Default Where did the deer go?

Need help.

I have been hunting an area where I was initially seeing many deer on a consistent basis. I am hunting a funnel with many heavily traveled trails between a cron field and a bean field.

The last four times I have not seen anything. I always hunt in the evening. I am very careful not to disturb the area and to the best of my knowledge have not been seen by any of the deer in the area.

Yesterday I went into the woods and a doe was moving at 3:00PM. This is much earlier than usual. Usually I see the deer moving late in the evening as they work their way to the corn field.

Any thoughts on why I am not seeing deer. Are they moving earlier? Have they caught onto me? We have had some significant weather changes too, can that make a difference?

My concern is that I thought I would see more deer as the rut approaches, not less.

Thanks,
Old 10-29-2002, 09:48 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Where did the deer go?

A story for you. At one time we had 500 acres for a 25 man club. Prior to bow season several of us a day wondered the woods SG hunting tracking and setting up stands ECT with lots of deer around lots of spookings and sightings. Opening day we went to stands and became invisible. The deer dissappeared also. A state biologist told us the deer were use to hearing and seeing us, When we dissapeared to stands the deer could smell us and not find us so they spooked and honkered down. Just a thought Striper Phil
Old 10-29-2002, 12:46 PM

Default RE: Where did the deer go?

For whatever reason, the deer may have decided to avoid your area. I have observed deer cut their route by a just yards to avoid a particular spot (area) once they detect there is or has been something in a particular spot/area they did not like.

Edited by - c903 on 10/29/2002 13:48:03