Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

My woods are being timbered!

Old 10-29-2002, 08:14 AM

Default My woods are being timbered!

I need some opinions here fellas, as we speak they're timbering my woods, along with the woods next to it. I know all the theories, but would you expect a mature 5.5yr old buck(or older), the one I'm hunting, to move out completely, or just move over a few hundred yards into the adjoining woods. It's all thick timber with plenty of fields in front, so cover and security are no problem. I'm just afraid aall the activity will send him 1/2 mile or more off my property? I have other properties, would you just reloctae to where they're not cutting, or hunt another property all together. I had my heart set on this deer. Keep in mind they'll be working tthrough the next couple of weeks, should I give up on that area for now, or just move a few hundred yards and hope he stays? I only have weekends and a couple days off to hunt that area through Nov.

"In heaven, even the fish have antlers"
Old 10-29-2002, 08:27 AM

Default RE: My woods are being timbered!

That had happend to me a few years back And I rarely would see anything. I use to hunt there both early in the morning or late in afternoon. Then hunt somewhere else during the day. If it were me I would move down away from all of that action. I hunted a piece of land that was within good hearing distance of the equipment and saw plenty of deer. If you stay there look out for the buzz saw..
Old 10-29-2002, 08:29 AM

I think you have to wait and see. I would spend some time on your property. You should know relatively quick if the deer are no longer moving in your area. I don't think that buck will move to far. Especialy if he has called your place home for the last 5 years.
Old 10-29-2002, 08:41 AM

I really don't have a good answer for what will happen with that buck this season. But can tell you from experience that next year the area that is being timbered will harbor plenty of deer. Clearing the canopy allows all the shoots and stuff that normally would get no sun to pop-out and gives deer what they like...tender green stuff to munch on.

Good luck...hope they don't spook him too far.....
Old 10-29-2002, 08:46 AM

I have sort of the same deal. Just outside the bedding area on one of my spots, they brought in heavy equipment and started putting in a big drainage ditch. They have been there since opening day. The deer didn't head out they just moved a little farther away from the activity. They are still in the same general area. Where the does went is probably where you'll find the buck now. Here in SW IA the bucks are really following the does now. I'd bet he's reluctant to give up the security of an area he knows so well.

THWACK!
Old 10-29-2002, 10:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey I know exactly how you feel. 2 of my areas have been logged of late. One was finished before bow season , other is still going at it. But have no fear. I've noticed now, and in the past once the deer get used to the noise they won't travel far. WHY? because they know its fresh food being brought to the ground. Especially if dropping any nut tree's. A mature buck may only use it at night during the process, but once the loggers leave I'd keep an eye out for him. My one area they have finished is a mess, and its difficult for deer to travel it anyplace but the log trails. But you know what thats to my advantage, and I've seen more deer in this area, then other parts of the ajoining woods! I'd bowhunt it until the loggers fire up in the morning, and just as they are getting ready to leave in evenings. It also wouldn't hurt to speak to them, see when they plan to finish, and if seeing any deer while in the woods. You have to adapt your skills to the situation!!
Old 10-29-2002, 10:56 AM
Boone & Crockett

Well if what they are logging is hardwood I would be willing to bet that early morning and late afternoon would be pretty good considering all the mast will be down on the ground instead of half in the tree and half on the ground. I know that next year will be prime on that property. In regards to the buck your are seeking he won't go far from his home turf.

The Tazman aka Martin Price
Founder and President of
Virginia Disabled Outdoorsmen Club
Old 10-29-2002, 01:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

The does will not be bothered by the logging. In fact you will probably see an increase of does in the area. Not only are deer very curious I think they like the cut over woods because they have been opened up and fresh browse will be coming up almost immediately. Here is your ace in the hole.......come rut time, where the does are, the bucks will be. That is a fact. Sure the big mature buck moved out of the immeditate logging area but he could easily be back once things have cooled down for a few days. However, when testosterone takes control of him, he'll run right out in the middle of a working logging operation! Good luck!

--------------------------------------------
Hunting the Piney Woods of Deep East Texas.
Old 10-29-2002, 02:20 PM

Thanks for the advice fellas, this piece is probably 2 thousand acres surrounded by bean and corn fields, so no shortage of food. My piece is 500 acres on one end, and they logged about that size next to us, and look to log about 150 of ours. I just hope he stays in the remaining 350 or so. Any further, and he crosses the road onto someone else's area. t's thick as heck, so i guess I'll hunt another property Sat morning, them take a look around and see if he's still in the area, they've been logging for weeks now, so if he was gonna leave, he would have by now. Hopefully I'll find some huge rubs or tracks and get some confidence he's still around.
Just didn't want to be near sighted and keep hunting the next couple of weeks if other's experience showed he took off.

"In heaven, even the fish have antlers"
Old 10-29-2002, 02:43 PM
Typical Buck

He may move out 6,but not too far. They logged land next to mine a few years back.That year,the deer seemed to travel the edges of it. The following year they were all over it eating the new growth. 2 years after and now its a deer haven. Underbrush so thick you have crawl to get in! The trails are like tunnels.