Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Question on the Double Bull Matrtix

Old 05-07-2006, 03:27 PM
Banned

Default Question on the Double Bull Matrtix

Hoyt girl and I went turkey hunting this am and we were hunting out of our Double Bull BS5. We had a tom at 50 yds and coming. He all of a sudden dida slip on us and snuck around and came in behind and we did not know he was there till we heard him drum at what sounded like 10 yds. We had our black curtain down on the side he slipped in on. At this exact very time 2 deer came down the trail at 30 yds from us and stopped, acted nervous as they sniffed the air( we both had just urininated within a half an hour)and all of of a sudden snorted and waved and everything was gone in an instant. Does the matrix offer total concealment without the black curtain and does it offer the possibility of pass thru net shooting or open window shooting like the BS5 does? I really wonder if I would have anything to gain with the matrix 360over my BS5 with the black curtain up?
Old 05-07-2006, 05:55 PM

Default RE: Question on the Double Bull Matrtix

The windows are adjustable ALL THE WAY around the blind. There are 4 slide buckles positioned on the corners and this is how you open and close the blind. If you want, I'll shoot some photos and email them to you. Anyway, if a turkey were to slip in behind, there are also 4 shooting ports like the one on your BS5. You could close the slide window behind you, drop one or 2 of the windows and shoot out of those. You could even, I believe, close the window behind and drop the slide window instead of the shooting ports. You would have to do this slowly, but I am pretty sure you could get away w/ it. I've hunted out of other blinds, and NOTHING comes close to the Matrix. Visibility is simply unmatched.

I close 3 slide buckles and leave one open. That alone gives me 180 degrees I can see and shoot from. The thing is awesome. And yes, it has netting all the way around it. For turkeys, I leave the net up. They don't care. Check one out at www.doublebullarchery.com If you request a catalog, I believe they send you a video as well. It's awesome. IMHO, there is no better blind on the market. I love mine.
Old 05-07-2006, 06:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have a double Bull T5 & I like it even though it's not like the Matrtix.
Mine has 4 vewing windows & 8 shooting windows I had to order the shoot thru mesh but my blind has that black sent control backing.
I use it all the time when ground hunting.
Old 05-07-2006, 06:24 PM
Banned

Mobo. so you are not shooting out of this 360 netting; you are shooting out of portholes that are different then the 360 netting. That 360 netting looks loose and not taunt; you are not shooting through that netting, correct? If I have this right, the 360 netting is a slide up ordown out of the way and shoot through openair or you canopen port windows and shoot through these. Are the port windows net, open air, or a combo? I checked out the website; I think I need to see one in person. I have all 3 of their other videos. with netting opened all the way around you I would think that you have to be careful with movement as an animal can see thru the blind.
Old 05-07-2006, 06:55 PM

For turkeys I don't shoot through the net. But for deer, I do. I've not been in a deer hunting situation yet, but I've tested in the yard and it works fine. No, the net's not very taught, but it works just fine. I sometimes use a couple of memo clips to hold the mesh tighter. The port holes are combo, the net will cover them, but I honestly never anticipate using them. I'm not really sure why they put them on it. They honestly seem useless to me, but hey......there's a reason I'm sure. The "curtain" as you referred to it, is actually the main shooting windows. The blind is actually 2 pieces, a top and bottom. The 2 slide together and meet in the middle, sealing off the blind. I just slide one corner open and shoot out of there. The netting can either be dropped in front of the slide window or folded up out of the way.
Old 05-07-2006, 07:03 PM

The shoot through screenson the Matrix Double Bullblind are just that - SHOOT THRU. However, they are not needed to be up for turkeys and I believe hogs. They are a must for all other game animals. If you keep the back of the blinddown and dress in black you will have much better luck because you won't be sillouted if the back is bright.

Incidently the shoot thru screens can be ordered and the are very inexpensive.

I used one on my trip to Texas this earily spring
and was so pleased with the results,I WENT AND BOUGHT ONE.
Old 05-07-2006, 07:54 PM

One thing I forgot to add to the Matrix SHOOT THRU SCREEN - USE NON EXPANDABLE BROADHEADS ONLY. If you use EXPANDABLE broadheds they may open prematurally and/or make the arrow go off course.

Hope his helps you out.
Old 05-07-2006, 08:11 PM
Banned

Thanks guys. I will look at them in person. If I lifttheblack curtain in my BS5 I have 360 viewing too, but I usually choose to have it down so that I can have more freedom of movement without being busted. I really wonder if I would have anything to gain with the matrix 360over my BS5 with the black curtain up?
Old 05-08-2006, 05:04 AM
Typical Buck

Does the matrix offer total concealment without the black curtain and does it offer the possibility of pass thru net shooting or open window shooting like the BS5 does?
Hardcore,
the Matrix is much better than the BS5 in my opinion. If you are hunting turkeys you dont need the mesh. It is pinned in at the top but not at the bottom and you simply push it up out of the way. The mesh being loose doesnt effect the broadhead flight at all.

With the matrix, if something was coming in behind you, you would simply close off the window you had open to the front (using the slide buckles) and then turn around and open the window behind you. I always wear black in mine and I have never had an animal see me move. You wouldnt want to have all the windows open on any blind at the same time though. That would let too much light in and they would see you inside. The matrix also has 4 of the oval windows similiar to the BS5 but they sit lower than with the BS5 so if you didnt have time to open the big window you could probly sit on the ground and shoot thru these. It is a last resort window basically.

I have some really good pictures,etc. on my website if you want to takea look.

www.rickshunting.com

rick