Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

transition from field pts to muzzy 3 blade 100 gr question, generally speaking?

Old 05-04-2006, 07:55 PM
Fork Horn

Default transition from field pts to muzzy 3 blade 100 gr question, generally speaking?

I'm shooting very tight groups with an '05Mathews Outback, 29" 70#with Gold Tip hunter xt 5575's with tips. I have yet to screw in my muzzy 3 blade 100 grain broadheads and shoot. Should I expect a whole lot of difference with my results? I will try it this weekend. I participate on a number of different forums (boating, fishing, hunting etc) I have found this forum to be the most informative and the most forgiving. I'm a newbie, so please spare the wisecrack comments. As always, thanks for any and all help...
Old 05-04-2006, 07:58 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: transition from field pts to muzzy 3 blade 100 gr question, generally speaking?

...bow is new to me, that is why I haven't shot broadheads yet
Old 05-04-2006, 07:58 PM

Default RE: transition from field pts to muzzy 3 blade 100 gr question, generally speaking?

THe only problem i see is that your arrows are being launched from a matthews.SORRY
Old 05-04-2006, 08:07 PM
Super Moderator

Most likely they will shoot with your field points but I've noticed most if any change is needed that is usually made is lowering the nock point a hair....not just with Muzzys but most fixed blade heads. You'll just have to shoot and see if any changes in tune are needed. Let us know.
Old 05-04-2006, 08:09 PM

Expect to have to make adjustments when you switch over.

I tried everything I could think of last summer and couldn't get my broadheads (Muzzy 100 grn. 3-Blade) to hit with my fieldpoints. I eventually just sighted in for the broadheads and left it alone.

Perhaps things will be different for you.
Old 05-04-2006, 08:09 PM
Banned

ORIGINAL: newman1

THe only problem i see is that your arrows are being launched from a matthews.SORRY
I might as well jump on this too. I am sorry for you also. Get a morrel yellowjacket broadhead target and shoot your broadheads. They may fly a little different and this is the best way to find out. I think that too many guys never shoot their broadheads. Come fall that is all we practice with. Muzzy is a great broadhead. I LOVE them.
Old 05-04-2006, 08:48 PM
Fork Horn

I am in boat with the newbie deal too, but this what I have found. I shoot an Allegiance at about 60# with goldtip 5575's with muzzy 100 grain three blades. My field points are sited in as well as I can shoot. When I switch to the broadheads I am shooting left about 4-5 inches consistantly. I am scared to try to group broadheads because if I do my part, and that's a big if, my bow is crazy accurate.

I have not taken the time to try any adjustments yet. I went into the bow shop to get advise first and was told that the 5575 were probably a little stiff for what I was shooting. So if I wanted to he would let me take home a 125 grain head and give it a try. The added front end weight will weaken the spine of the arrow a bitandhe believes this will help get the point of impact closer to the field points.

Also, take a look on the Easton archery website and print out the tuning guide. This is a great reference for us newbies, and walks through the broadhead tuning process.

Something the bow shop owner said that I thought was interesting, but doesn't pertain to your bow, is that he has noticed that the Binary cams seem to like an arrow a little under-spined.? Anyone out there have a fealing on this?

Good luck with the broadheads and let me know if the arrow/broadhead combo works out for your 70#er.

Jer
Old 05-05-2006, 05:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Last year my 3 blade muzzies with practice blades (old blades) shot just as well as my stingers and slicktricks, too bad I lostthe sharp blades somewhere along the way- might have to pick up some new blades for this season.

Don't fret tweaking your rest in minor adjustments. Just mark where you start out and if you don't like the way things go you can always put it back at the starting point.

bitterroot- about the spine, that arrow program shows a 400 spine being way too weak for my 61# tribute, but for now they are grouping just as good if not better than my 340's (which the program puts dead on). The point of impact is off a little between the two, but when I shoot through paper at various distances it was easier to get bullet holes with the 400's. I'll let the broadheads decide when I get around to shooting them.
Old 05-05-2006, 06:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ishoot the Muzzy 100 gr and it groups the same as my field points. I save the old blades and shoot them excusively after the season opens. The blades are in-expensive. Then, if need to make a very minor adjustment, I go ahead and make it.