Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Something Interesting....

Old 10-28-2002, 01:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Something Interesting....

Of all people my mom gave me some good information last night. She told me there was a large buck staying above my house in a field. She had seen him the past three nights including last night. I was like, "WTF!?!". Because it's very rare to see a deer out in the open next to my house. But travel five miles in either direction and deer are everywhere. So I took her directions and went up the road a half mile and there the buck stood. An absoultely huge buck. Probaly 160 class whitetail. I looked at him threw the binoc's and counted 6pts on one side. But I didn't get to a good look at the other side. And to think...all this time I was hunting everywhere but around the house. Now I'm going to do some scouting and try to get a stand set up by the end of the week to hunt this buck.

But with no does or other bucks in the field...why is he revisiting this field. Four nights in a row he has been in the field alone. What is up with him? The pre-rut is starting to show. We are getting a couple scrapes here and there but nothing major. Next week should be the start of the pre-rut and I want to be ready for this buck. But why is he in this field alone night after night?

High Country Archery - "Driven to greater heights..."
Old 10-28-2002, 01:43 PM

Default RE: Something Interesting....

The bachelor groups have split...so he's alone. If your only seeing him in the day, then he is likely feeling pressure from someone or something....

Deer are smart critters and you will find them in the most unlikely places, often where you least expect. Get a stand up about 50-100 yards inside the field edge where you think he is entering and ambush him while in the staging area.

Good Luck baggin him...
Old 10-28-2002, 06:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Something Interesting....

The buck is entering this field durning the late evening right at dark and then staying through the night. Do you think I should go farther then 50-100yrds or should I go about 100yrds and set up a stand? Also should I look for a rub or scrape line?

High Country Archery - "Driven to greater heights..."