Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I think I blew it this weekend - kinda long post

Old 10-28-2002, 01:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default I think I blew it this weekend - kinda long post

I have been hunting this one buck, really nice one 140-150 class. Well this weekend I got into the location fine and it was around 3 hours and I wasn't seeing him and was about to leave, when I noticed a nice buck coming from a field 75 yards away. A fence separated the wooded lot and the field. It was him. He paced the fence for a good hour, because he couldn't get under and was timid about clearing the fence. So, I waited. Meanwhile, I had deer bedding down all around me. He finally cleared the fence and almost immediately bedded. Well I waited and two times I almost gave up. Once I even lowered my bow from the treestand and came down. As I stepped out of the tree another nice buck appeared and I immediately froze. After he passed, I climbed back up and slowly raised by bow. He wandered around the bedded deer and my hopes was he would chase the does around and perhaps cause the deer I wanted to get up and move around, hopefully within range. Sure enough, the big deer raised up and began moving around. He and two other deer were moving toward me. I grabbed my bow and waited. He was within 35 yards, when I drew on him. He had just stepped behind a tree and I didn't have a shot until he cleared the tree. I must have been noticed by one of the other bucks, because everything just stopped, including my deer behind that tree. I stood there motionless the best I could at full draw waiting and hoping. After what seemed like forever, probably one and a half minutes, I couldn't steady the bow enough for a good clean shot and decided to lower my bow. Ofcourse that is an act that caused every deer to take full notice of me, including the big one. So there again I was motionless and still waiting for my deer to clear the tree. What he did next was terrible. He turned around and walked the other way. I had given him too much reason to not continue on his path. My heart broke. He was a great deer. I should have been more patient and let him come on in before drawing. I watched as he slipped out of the wooded lot.

My concern now is....what are my chances of seeing him again and getting a shot. Keep in mind that this deer has been on the property for about a month and this is the first time I had him within range. I don't think he was too spooked, because he very slowly moved the other direction and didn't bolt. I've seen him a couple of other times. Just wanted to share with you all and perhaps get your perspective. Thanks.

Old 10-28-2002, 03:25 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: I think I blew it this weekend - kinda long post

He knew something wasn't right and got outta there. If he didn't blow or run off he will be back, so go out there and get him! Good luck bagging him!!

Old 10-29-2002, 01:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's a good thing that he didn't spook, but I doubt you'll have another chance at him from that stand. Most likely, since he's played this game for a few years, he'll look up in that tree whenever he's near it to make sure it's OK. Pick another tree nearby, or in another area he frequents and hope he shows up again. Good luck!

Today's small bucks are tomorrow's trophies.
Old 10-29-2002, 01:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

Man it is hard to say what will happen. I've had deer remember seeing me, but they were mainly does. I had a buck spot me once, and the very next day, he came right down the same trail at exactly the same time.

If it were me, I'd probably leave the stand where it is and either sit there the next day.

If he looks at you at all don't move. Then after he leaves set up another stand somewhere on his trail.

Edited by - BobCo19-65 on 10/29/2002 15:00:52