Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

lock on or climbing stands?

Old 05-02-2006, 05:58 PM

Default lock on or climbing stands?

Last year was my first time bowhunting and I did it all with climbing stands and a couple of friends say that lock on are better. Which should I use? If lock on what are the good type at a reasonable price because I'm going to need about four lock on with climbing sticks...
Old 05-02-2006, 08:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: lock on or climbing stands?

If it's a good spot any will do, it will be the best stand ever. If not, a comfortable one is needed.

I don't know. Get what you can afford.
Old 05-02-2006, 08:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

I personally like climbers better because I'm more comfortable in them. I also feel safer in a climber as well. Having said that, I also use between 6 and 10 lock on stands every year. I use the lock ons for the locations that require a long walk or for areas that just are not suitable for climbers.
Old 05-02-2006, 08:38 PM

Here's the deal. A lock on is more versatile, well, the stand itself isn't, but it's not NEARLY as picky as to the tree it's hanging in. You can put a lock on in a tree that you could never climb. The climbing treestand, which is my favorite because of it's simplicity, comfort, and it's quick and easy to set up and move, needs a straight, fairly uniform tree. Sometimes you just can't find one that meets that criteria. And in that case.......I set up my Matrix. Problem solved.

I've hunted out of lock ons before, but I will forever be using a climber from now on. Some people say that hinders me.....ah, whatever. That's what I use. And I like it.
Old 05-03-2006, 06:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Last year was my frist time trying lock-ons on my "spooky deer" east Texas lease. I'm pulling them for this upcoming season and will be going back to climbers only for that region.
I guess having both is the best way to go, but the element of surprise is why I like the climber the most. They don't know what tree I'm in on any given day. The lock ons- well they get tipped off to my presence each time I re-use the stand and slowly but surely the sightings go down with each hunt.

If you pull your lock-ons each time you hunt than the advantage is a wash.

I also feel safer in my climbers as well.
Old 05-03-2006, 06:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

I like lock ons! After sliding down a tree to the ground (thank god no serious injuries) you can take them climbers and put them where the sun don't shine.
That said I use the cheap Dicks ladders and mostly any safe sturdy stand I don't spend a lot of money on them as I use 15-20 throughout the year. I set them up early in the year (Sept. for Oct) and I always keep two for a new set up I find. and then I'm taking some down and puting them up all season. I made some back pack straps,strap the ladder sections and the stand together and back pack them in the woods. no problem. Nothing like the secure safe feeling of a lock on stand. But always wear your safty belt. Mike
Old 05-03-2006, 06:42 AM
Banned

I myself use both. I have ladder stands and hang ons through out the woods that I put up in sept before season. I never overhunt any one stand and can hunt where I want depending on the wind. A stand already put up preseason is the quietest way to hunt as all you have to do is go to the woods and hunt;no setup. THE one big advantage of a climber as I see it is SAFETY. You are hooked in before you even leave the ground where a fixed stand you have to climb up your ladder,climbing sticks, or footpegs to reach your stand and then tie yourself in. I have a Summit Viper climber and I love it as I can climb as high as I want and I'm not limited to the height of my ladderstand or climbing sticks. With a climber you can position yourself on a different side of the tree if you choose to anytime during the hunt where if you have a hangon that would requirerehanging the stand and a lot of work.I don't use screw in steps. I think they are a pain to useand dangerous. If you would fall and catch one of them on the way down I am sure you would leave your manhood behind too[:@]. Between my Summit climber and a Summit swiftree climbing stick and my Summit Copperhead hang on is a toss up as far as versatility and ease of setup. The Swifttree climbing stick has enclosed footpegs and if you slip you wouldn't leave your manhood behind on any footpeg.

Old 05-03-2006, 07:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Loc on with climbing sticks. You will have more versatility on which tree you can set up on. And IMO this combo is quieter than climbers. I would go with a Lone wolf stick/stand combo. I will cost as much or maybe even a little more than a climber but I think you'll happier in the long run.
Old 05-03-2006, 07:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

They both have they're place, and I use them both very regularly. Lone Wolf is my choice for ease of packing, set-up, and most importantly; absolute silence!
Old 05-03-2006, 10:04 AM
Fork Horn

I think it depends on the spot. If you have a spot where both work then it for me would be ahang on only because it allows for a smaller more undectable setup. But if were in a spot where I was hunting all day and could use both then Id most likely pick my Lone Wolf Sit and Climb for comfort. My lease in Illinois allows me alot of places to use both for both reasons. My lease is 1000 acres of solid bottom ground timber with lots of trees that allow for a climber to get higher that most other places I hunt. Some of the spots deep in the timber are hard to access and would require me to use the climber since they are spots that I want to stay for a longer period of time.

Quick Reply: lock on or climbing stands?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.